Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone fitted an in-car camera, such as Roadhawk, to a MS? I'm interested in knowing how the cable was run because the 12v socket is between the seats rather than beneath the dashboard. I expect the cable is long enough but how easy is it to hide it? Also, could one fit an extra socket on the side of the foot-well, for example, so as not to have the cable running all the way back to the original socket and to keep that socket free for other things?

Blackvue seems to be the preferred dashcam. Some power it near fuses under dash to right of steering wheel. Some models have 12v power in mic area of roof. My 3 week old one has the latter and I hope to use that shortly.

Thank you; interesting. The socket in the roof sounds the best thing; perhaps all cars have it now.

I already have a Roadhawk but I will look at the Blackvue; why do you say it's the preferred one?

By the way, what is a 'vegan' steering wheel?

Thank you; interesting. The socket in the roof sounds the best thing; perhaps all cars have it now.

I already have a Roadhawk but I will look at the Blackvue; why do you say it's the preferred one?

By the way, what is a 'vegan' steering wheel?

In Holland (and I know also in Norway) indeed many people have fitted a Blackvue 6DR650GW into the MS, also with the rearview camera.
An upcoming software update will enable remote access to the camera from the web, your smartphone etc.

Thank you again. The wheel looks nice too, though I'm not sure about the seats. Are these options (I don't see mention of them on the site)?

We haven't quite confirmed our order yet but are going to Bristol on Friday to have a second look and nail down what we want; we are debating whether to have the 70 or the 85 because of the 8.5k price difference. The 70 has quite enough oomph but we're thinking about the range - we go to N Yorks quite a lot.

When we have our car, it would be nice to meet and compare notes - you seem to be the owner nearest to us (Salisbury) that we have found yet, anyway. Nice if/when they set up a Bristol Service Centre, won't it?

Another small issue to nudge you towards the '85 - the '70 has slightly slower charging at Superchargers, and especially so at CHAdeMO chargers, because the smaller battery has a lower voltage.

Only about a 20% difference, but still something to weigh up.

I am only 3 miles away from Cribbs and working from home tomorrow. Depending on when you are visiting I am happy to meet up. PM me if interested. Show off my car and answer any questions. I do 200 miles a day in mine and can do it in 90% just.

I would always say more range if you can afford it. However, on long journeys you would have to do one charging stop in a 70 or 85. If you order and confirm before end October you can use the referral code. If I have helped at all then feel free to use mine http://ts.la/thom1529

Supercharging is great especially if at a low charge. You have no time to do anything before needing to move on since you will never really need to charge beyond 90% unless doing a long trip across Europe :)

- - - Updated - - -

I would always say more range if you can afford it. However, on long journeys you would have to do one charging stop in a 70 or 85. If you order and confirm before end October you can use the referral code. If I have helped at all then feel free to use mine http://ts.la/thom1529

Supercharging is great especially if at a low charge. You have no time to do anything before needing to move on since you will never really need to charge beyond 90% unless doing a long trip across Europe :)

I am only 3 miles away from Cribbs and working from home tomorrow. Depending on when you are visiting I am happy to meet up. PM me if interested. Show off my car and answer any questions. I do 200 miles a day in mine and can do it in 90% just.

Thank you for the offer. I'm sorry I haven't got back to you - I didn't look at the forum in time and have been away since. I hope we can meet another time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

We decided on a 70D; most of its work will be quite local and the charging infrastructure is so big now that it seems unlikely that one would not find a charger. And we saved 8.2K, of course.

I got a code from Bjorn, thanks, and have confirmed the order. Blue, Pano, cloth seats (maybe a first!) etc etc. I can't find where to enter the car's details or my photo in my profile.

Had a good long session with the people at Cribbs, though we were disappointed in the test route because it was congested and did not include any A or B roads. Also disappointed in the store - no accessories on display, just a lot of Tshirts and the staff looked a bit scruffy (though they are very pleasant and attentive).