Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard chargingstations app available (openchargemap)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium
Open Charge Map : The open, global database of electric vehicle charging locations

To use:

http://openchargemap.org/api/widgets/map/?maptitle=Map%20of%20Charging%20Locations&maxresults=10000&filtercontrols=,nearlocation,distance,country,operator,connectiontype,level,usage,status&geolocation=auto when going to this page you get the chargingstations of the whole world fullscreen
to get locations near you, select "my location" in the top of the menu that appears, and then hit "search"

(ok in browser gps locating does not work apparently, so you have to introduce your location in the searchbar on top of the menu)
so locating in your car is difficult

Hope this works! I am only guessing
feedback and photo would be appreciated

Here's a sample pic from a desktop:
View attachment 11841

link to full-screen map of superchargers OpenChargeMap Map

OpenChargeMap is intended to be driven by users updating information, with occasional "official" updates. If you know of other EVSEs in your area, feel free to add them!
To add stations or do a more specific search you can use Open Charge Map - Web App

To change search options for the app or to Sign In as an editor or approver see Settings
In settings, you can filter the chargingstations by distance operator connector charginglevel usagetype and statustype
After clicking "back" and then on "map" you get all the chargingstations around you

feedback is welcome

Help to improve too
OpenChargeMap | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Test version of new forum for @openchargemap available at Open Charge Map - Discussions
- suggestions on main topics? Twitter sign in via login page.

Last edited:
IMG_5055.JPG

wowwwwwwwwwwww
does the app work too?
you can acces it when clicking "search locations"
or you can change the map of the country by selecting the "united states"

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I am happy as a little kid!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if geolocation works, and you get the map fullscreen when opening this link

http://openchargemap.org/api/widgets/map/?maptitle=Map%20of%20Charging%20Locations&maxresults=10000&filtercontrols=,nearlocation,distance,country,operator,connectiontype,level,usage,status&geolocation=auto

I can enter all the search locations just fine (although some, like the scrollbox to pick the country, are a little clumsy) and look at local chargers. It's really slow to move the map, but that might be because the cellular connection in my garage is poor.

It does not automatically figure out where I am (somebody else in another thread noted that the browser doesn't report location), so I had to enter the location I wanted to look.

So, first: I like the website and it works fine.

But, why is everyone effusing over an 'app' when it's just a website, which (as long as it doesn't use flash) should work fine, but isn't integrated into the car.

I'm confused about the usage. An 'app' to me would be something installed on the car that would have the ability to be accessed by a single button click, and might or might not be able to integrate some or all of the car's data. For instance, does the web instance automatically read the car's GPS location? Does it pass data to the maps app in the dash?

So, first: I like the website and it works fine.

But, why is everyone effusing over an 'app' when it's just a website, which (as long as it doesn't use flash) should work fine, but isn't integrated into the car.

I'm confused about the usage. An 'app' to me would be something installed on the car that would have the ability to be accessed by a single button click, and might or might not be able to integrate some or all of the car's data. For instance, does the web instance automatically read the car's GPS location? Does it pass data to the maps app in the dash?

Any app (recargo, chargepoint, etc) should work in the same way. The app I want is the one that shows 1) my location, 2) all the charge stations in the vicinity, and 3) overlaid with rings, showing how much range I have left driving conservatively or umm normally so I can see what charging stations are within my available range.

Hi Guys,

The Open Charge Map : The open, global database of electric vehicle charging locations
homepage is just an intro to the project and has an example map using that data (aimed mainly at desktop/laptop use). As J-C mentioned above there is a web app at http://openchargemap.org/app which is optimized for mobile use (you can't get more mobile than the Model S!) and that is the easiest way of searching on touch devices. If you hit 'Browse' or Search Locations in the screen shown above you'll go to the proper 'app' J-C meant - not sure if you have done that already.

Despite the name, Open Charge Map is about the data more so than providing apps, however we do provide a few apps on iOS/Android/Windows etc based on the above mobile web app, just to give everyone a basic way of using the data. We encourage others to develop apps based on our data and several people have already.

That said, does anyone know if Tesla let people develop apps for the Model S console? If so, I'd be happy to look at doing that. If they don't allow the browser to read the GPS location then that restricts developers to having to ask the user to specify their location instead, which is a bit cumbersome. We'd also benefit from being able to read the remaining range estimate from the car, otherwise the use would have to specify that.

Regarding features people want to see, range Circles etc sound like a great idea and are not difficult, that said we're always looking for great web developers to join us so if you know anybody that would be interested in helping we have plenty of features we'd like to add/improve.

Chris
openchargemap.org

http://openchargemap.org/api/widgets/map/?maptitle=Map%20of%20Charging%20Locations&maxresults=10000&filtercontrols=,nearlocation,distance,country,operator,connectiontype,level,usage,status&geolocation=auto when going to this page you get the chargingstations of the whole world fullscreen
to get locations near you, select "my location" in the top of the menu that appears, and then hit "search"

(ok gps locating does not work apparently)
so locating in your car is difficult
Hope this works! I am only guessing
feedback and photo would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

I can enter all the search locations just fine (although some, like the scrollbox to pick the country, are a little clumsy) and look at local chargers. It's really slow to move the map, but that might be because the cellular connection in my garage is poor.

It does not automatically figure out where I am (somebody else in another thread noted that the browser doesn't report location), so I had to enter the location I wanted to look.

thanks for the effort !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That said, does anyone know if Tesla let people develop apps for the Model S console? If so, I'd be happy to look at doing that. If they don't allow the browser to read the GPS location then that restricts developers to having to ask the user to specify their location instead, which is a bit cumbersome. We'd also benefit from being able to read the remaining range estimate from the car, otherwise the use would have to specify that.
Tesla has said they will offer an SDK for developing apps for the car. Though I assume it is a little ways down their list at this point.

Any app (recargo, chargepoint, etc) should work in the same way. The app I want is the one that shows 1) my location, 2) all the charge stations in the vicinity, and 3) overlaid with rings, showing how much range I have left driving conservatively or umm normally so I can see what charging stations are within my available range.

With topo data for it's effect on range or the ability to remember topo data when driven to use in future travel calculations. Google maps has it but they might partner with Google to build a world road topo data map by downloading altitude from all the Teslas driving the world's roads.

Last edited:
A filterable Openchargemap layer in the google maps app would be nice. Once selected it stays layered until unselected. Like the layers in google maps for android.

If Tesla wants to use this layer, they are welcome
All data is sharealike

Via Open Charge Map - Web App and going to settings, you can filter your chargingstations

- - - Updated - - -

in the fullscreen map you can filter by connector too