Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard crashes frequently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1892.jpeg

Dashboard display on my 2017 Model S has started to crash frequently. Now it sometimes crashes multiple times an hour while driving. If autopilot is on, car gives a loud warning sound and asks (on the multimedia display) to take over immediately. At the same time, the dashboard goes black. After 10s or so, Tesla logo appears and it restarts. This is so distracting that it can be dangerous in certain situations.

Configuration: MCU1 + FSD HW3. 2021.24.28 (latest for my car).

Anyone else has the same problem?

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega
Hw3 needs MCU2 to work smoothly.
This seems to be the case, unfortunately. None of this was known when I purchased FSD (that I have not received).

Even today, Tesla doesn't not officially recognize this to be the case.

If you don't fix the combination, it only gets worse.
It was working just fine in 2021 (what it comes to dashboard). I am not 100% certain if the software update (2021.24.28) Tesla pushed early this year is to blame, but it seems like the likely culprit (no other changes done).

In any case, it is up to Tesla not to break my car - or if they do, they should fix it. It would be unreasonable for a car owner to require purchasing a ~ $2000 upgrade to the already outdated MCU2 just to keep the car working. Especially if the only change is a software version.

Last edited:
...In any case, it is up to Tesla not to break my car - or if they do, they should fix it. It would be unreasonable for a car owner to require purchasing a ~ $2000 upgrade to the already outdated MCU2 just to keep the car working. Especially if the only change is a software version...
If you read what Tesla announced in 2020:

"Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, and for a more advanced and smoother user experience."

You could pick up the cue: "smoother". If you don't pay, it won't be smooth. If it's not smooth (keeping on crashing) and you want "smoother", then you have to pay!

I am with you 100% (in spirit but not in money to hire a lawyer).

You can insist on your principle and fight for your rights or just give up, surrender and let Tesla have additional money to fix what they broke on your system.

If you read what Tesla announced in 2020:

"Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, and for a more advanced and smoother user experience."

You could pick up the cue: "smoother". If you don't pay, it won't be smooth. If it's not smooth (keeping on crashing) and you want "smoother", then you have to pay!

I am with you 100% (in spirit but not in money to hire a lawyer).

You can insist on your principle and fight for your rights or just give up, surrender and let Tesla have additional money to fix what they broke on your system.
There’s quite a difference between “not smooth” and “crashing,“ mind.

Same combo here. Mcu1 hw3. All the crashing has been happening to me as well. Got a low coolant level light a few days ago so I made a service appt. I complained about my mcu at a prior appt so this is no surprise. Today I get this message along with the low coolant message. Anyone see this before? Does this likely mean mcu replacement is necessary? I all had my emmc upgraded and my mcu was just as bad if not worse. Service appt is on the 20th. Hope I’m good til then.

Attachments

• 7DB56AE4-7F0A-4567-B15F-2F7E8DF30BD3.jpeg
    7DB56AE4-7F0A-4567-B15F-2F7E8DF30BD3.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 48