Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having issues with camper mode lately?

I used it when I first got the app and didn't have any issues. But I upgraded from an S6 to a Google Pixel and I haven't been able to get it to work. I checked all the settings in the phone to make sure background processes don't lose internet and I can't find anything in the settings that would prevent the service from running (other apps, like e-mail, etc., seem to be working fine in the background while the phone is locked). Still, even though the service appears to be running and works great at first, after 30 minutes to an hour or so it will eventually say "service failed" and show "no internet connection" as the cause. I'm not sure why. I've tried this in a few different areas, using both wifi and cell signal. It fails every time, no matter what I do. Same thing happens with cabin temperature protection.

Any advice/recommendations? I'm quite confident that it's user error, haha.

Reactions: SG57
@Mattzilla , hmm it's likely not user-error (unless you truly didn't have internet, again unlikely). The issue you're seeing very well may have been introduced in the latest update (or been laying dormant this whole time) which involved a large change to the background services. I'm seeing it affect other services specifically the unreleased smart charging, so I'm working hard on a fix cause smart charging has been completed for awhile otherwise.

From my testing, it occurs intermittently only when waking from deep sleep. I've been avoiding it unintentionally by playing music which prevents the device from entering deep sleep. I also have a Pixel, but I don't think it's device-specific. I'll get a fix out just as soon as I can confirm it's fixed, sorry about this :\

Last edited:
After further research, @Mattzilla what you're encountering is a "feature" of Android Marshmallow and later. It's called "Battery optimizations" and disables network connectivity for all apps when the device is in deep sleep. I presume your S6 was running Lollipop?

Good news is you can fix this right now by manually disabling battery optimizations for Dashboard for Tesla.

Go to Settings > Battery > ... > Battery optimizations
Click Dashboard for Tesla
Select "Don't optimize"

You may need to Force close the app/reboot the device for the changes to take effect due to caching.

I'll get a release out soon to streamline this process, however I can't do much short of pointing you in the right direction unless one of you know a Google employee I can speak to directly.

Last edited:
@Mattzilla , hmm it's likely not user-error (unless you truly didn't have internet, again unlikely). The issue you're seeing very well may have been introduced in the latest update (or been laying dormant this whole time) which involved a large change to the background services. I'm seeing it affect other services specifically the unreleased smart charging, so I'm working hard on a fix cause smart charging has been completed for awhile otherwise.

From my testing, it occurs intermittently only when waking from deep sleep. I've been avoiding it unintentionally by playing music which prevents the device from entering deep sleep. I also have a Pixel, but I don't think it's device-specific. I'll get a fix out just as soon as I can confirm it's fixed, sorry about this :\
When are you coming out with the iOS version?
iOS is by far the most used system. Just wondering why you didn't start with IOS in the first place.

When are you coming out with the iOS version?
iOS is by far the most used system. Just wondering why you didn't start with IOS in the first place.
Well first of all friend, IOS is not the most popular. Android outsells Apple 6 to 1 worldwide. Samsung alone is 2/1 against Apple. In the Tesla Owner arena, our best estimates with the central Ohio owners being a sample set is that it's almost a straight 50/50 split on Android/iOS Tesla owners.

Now, you iOS users already got your 3rd party Tesla control app so go enjoy that while us Android users get some love.

After further research, @Mattzilla what you're encountering is a "feature" of Android Marshmallow and later. It's called "Battery optimizations" and disables network connectivity for all apps when the device is in deep sleep. I presume your S6 was running Lollipop?

Good news is you can fix this right now by manually disabling battery optimizations for Dashboard for Tesla.

Go to Settings > Battery > ... > Battery optimizations
Click Dashboard for Tesla
Select "Don't optimize"

You may need to Force close the app/reboot the device for the changes to take effect due to caching.

I'll get a release out soon to streamline this process, however I can't do much short of pointing you in the right direction unless one of you know a Google employee I can speak to directly.

This fixed it. Thank you!!!!

What an annoying "feature" indeed...

• Love
@MattzillaThe issue you're seeing very well may have been introduced in the latest update (or been laying dormant this whole time) which involved a large change to the background services. I'm seeing it affect other services specifically the unreleased smart charging, so I'm working hard on a fix cause smart charging has been completed for awhile otherwise.

Does this mean you are now close to being able to release a version with smart charging?

@Drone Flyer , that's a fair question and wasn't a decision I made lightly, there were many factors.
  • Experience - I'm most proficient with Android development
  • Cost - iOS development is more expensive
  • Potential - Android has greater freedoms for ideas, look at the background services
  • Competition - iOS already had numerous 3rd party apps
  • Testing - I have a lot more Android devices lying around than iOS
  • Selfish Reasons - I use an Android as my daily (Pixel currently)
I understand there is a large iOS user-base that own Teslas, regardless the official Tesla Motors Android app has over 100k downloads and growing.

I plan to expand to iOS once I get the Android version fully realized with the ideas I have in mind with data logging, widgets, automatic behaviors, trip logging, and then some.

@Mattzilla , great to hear!

Moving forward, I can detect if battery optimization is on/off so for Marshmallow and newer devices I'll be letting you know when using a background service that you may experience service errors unless you disable it.

I wouldn't knock the feature just yet, I mean it's a necessary evil because prior to battery optimizations I suppose some rogue apps could zap your battery life without you knowing. Now you need to opt into it. Now I AM knocking Google's theme of banning apps that request to disable battery optimization, why even add the API support if you don't want it used.

@Andyw2100 , yes! So very close. Myself and a few others have been helping beta test and vet it for weeks. It's been complete for a long while now, just not reliable until now. I'm excited to get it out there so I can focus on other things I desperately want already - Widgets.

@SG57 I recently changed my Tesla password. Now when I try to login with your app I get Invalid Password. But using that exact same password (copy and pasted it from my password manager) I can use the official Tesla app and even the website. Perhaps you're filtering some special characters or the length? I tend to use overly long complicated passwords everywhere that tend to break with some systems :)

@miken79 , that's interesting. The current limit is undefined so it uses its default which may vary across Android versions, but it's likely 140 characters max currently. I'm not filtering any special characters or length. If you can, send me a password similar to the complexity and length of yours so I can test reproducing your issue? Please do NOT send me or anyone your actual password lol.

Reactions: supratachophobia
@miken79 , @StaticDischarge , @GTIceman , turned out semi-colon was the problematic character. It's treated as a delimiter on some servers when used in the URL in a query parameter.

@BigTes , I don't have any control over 'My Tesla' accounts in any way, however I understand it can be annoying to forget your password then need to dig around to figure out how to reset it. So, I've added a helpful Lost My Password link to the sign in page to at least point you to the correct web-form on Tesla's site.

@GTIceman , I've fixed the audio pausing due to the video, so the video is here to stay! (unless you absolutely hate that video?). On the vehicle selection display screen, I actually need to load it regardless of a default vehicle because there are tokens served up only in that request for each vehicle that are needed for Telemetry and summon & HomeLink control to function. The best I can do is upon load, immediately select it for you. Also, that screen checks for mobile enabled state of the vehicle in case you ever disable it or it's in service mode.

Widgets have made some progress, they will be awesome I promise. There's a LOT of freedom when it comes to widgets, so there may be a lot of love/hate for my choice on widgets here. I'm shooting for functionality before form, but there is a healthy does of both.

There are tons of improvements and bug fixes, again, I've made that I want to get out there for you guys, but I'm so close to smart charging I'm holding off. I know it's been over a month since my last worthwhile update, but soon! Soon...

@GTIceman , I've fixed the audio pausing due to the video, so the video is here to stay! (unless you absolutely hate that video?). On the vehicle selection display screen, I actually need to load it regardless of a default vehicle because there are tokens served up only in that request for each vehicle that are needed for Telemetry and summon & HomeLink control to function. The best I can do is upon load, immediately select it for you. Also, that screen checks for mobile enabled state of the vehicle in case you ever disable it or it's in service mode.

Widgets have made some progress, they will be awesome I promise. There's a LOT of freedom when it comes to widgets, so there may be a lot of love/hate for my choice on widgets here. I'm shooting for functionality before form, but there is a healthy does of both.

There are tons of improvements and bug fixes, again, I've made that I want to get out there for you guys, but I'm so close to smart charging I'm holding off. I know it's been over a month since my last worthwhile update, but soon! Soon...

Don't completely hate the video just really not needed IMO if auto login. Glad to hear about the audio bit. Makes sense about the load, was just curious.

Looking forward to widgets. Also a dark theme nudge nudge

• Funny
@miken79 , @StaticDischarge , @GTIceman , turned out semi-colon was the problematic character. It's treated as a delimiter on some servers when used in the URL in a query parameter.

@BigTes , I don't have any control over 'My Tesla' accounts in any way, however I understand it can be annoying to forget your password then need to dig around to figure out how to reset it. So, I've added a helpful Lost My Password link to the sign in page to at least point you to the correct web-form on Tesla's site.

Take your time, good things take time. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this! :)

I just bought your app. Looks great and I'm looking forward to trying camper mode.

Here's a feature request: add an option to use the Google Maps satellite view on the Location tab. The traffic view option is nice, but the satellite view might make it easier to find the car.