Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the support and constructive feedback everyone.

@BigD0g , as @MasterT quoted, I have no immediate plans to expand to iOS, that may happen once I finish all I have in mind for Android first.

@Andyw2100 & @scottf200 , what if I added this max charge limit notification to smart charging, your thoughts? That would limit the check to that particular location only solving the vacation problem. Are there any scenarios where that wouldn't be ideal? Or perhaps adding the charge limit check to the plug-in reminder as an option? Worst case, it'll be its own service described very similar to @scottf200 's mock-up there.

@scottf200 , I've heard similar reports infrequently of that behavior and I suspect it's Google Play's Billing services not functioning properly for whatever reason. I trust the Billing services to return your purchased in-app billing products accurately, if you are seeing that "Purchase Feature" overlay then they simply didn't return that purchased product. You can reload your purchases a lot of ways, but the easiest are to close the app, or sign out and in again, or reboot your device as you found. Sorry about that, wish I could be of more help.

@RayW , you are completely in the right to be concerned about security and completely correct that a mishandling of the sensitive information regarding your Tesla account can leave your vehicle vulnerable to awful things in the wrong hands. For that reason I am very transparent and up-front about my security measures and privacy policy. I use this app no different than any of you so I have just as much stake in the security.

I believe in the "Trust, but verify" mentality, so I implore everyone to scrutinize my claims and sniff the network traffic of the app and absolutely alert everybody of any questionable communication, or scan the APK for questionable URL strings.

Here is a link to my privacy policy that explains in great detail how your information is used, with what servers the app communicates with, and what data is sent to those servers:

Privacy Policy

Below is a brief summary of the privacy policy:
Dashboard for Tesla stores some of your data locally using shared preferences encrypted with 256-bit AES.
  • Password Remember Me

Dashboard for Tesla sends all network traffic over HTTPS sending some of your data to web services in order to perform.

Tesla Motors
  • Sign into My Tesla
  • Send commands
  • Receive vehicle data

Google Map Services
  • Reverse geocode vehicle location
  • Find device location on map
  • Get directions to your vehicle

SG57 Productions
  • Submit feedback
    • Email
    • OS version
    • IP address
    • Feedback

Just to clarify, there is no possibility that I or anyone else can get access to your Tesla account, and consequently your vehicles, by using this app. The current biggest security threats are:
  • Social Engineering - giving out your password knowingly or unknowingly to bad people

• App Tampering - be sure to only download this app from the Google Play Store, anywhere else I cannot guarantee your security

• Network Monitoring - be sure your network is not being monitored/sniffed by 3rd parties, and if you're running through a proxy server be sure you trust them

• Old Devices - be sure to factory reset your old, unused devices before selling them or throwing them away

• Unattended Devices - be sure to lock your phone when leaving it unattended
All of these threats apply to not just this app but even your banking app or your email, text messages, you name it.

Reactions: BigD0g
@Andyw2100 & @scottf200 , what if I added this max charge limit notification to smart charging, your thoughts? That would limit the check to that particular location only solving the vacation problem. Are there any scenarios where that wouldn't be ideal? Or perhaps adding the charge limit check to the plug-in reminder as an option? Worst case, it'll be its own service described very similar to @scottf200 's mock-up there.
<snip>
@SG57 , I really like the idea of adding it to the Smart Charging for reasons of it being location aware. For the longest time I've just use the built in Tesla feature of starting to charge at 1am / 01:00 and typically charge to 80%. I was only going to use Smart Charging the night before I went traveling. So tying it to Smart Charging has that drawback (i.e. you can't use them independently. HOWEVER if you did add it to Smart Charging I could just use that and tell it to end at 5am / 05:00. I do the charging in the middle of the night because I am on hourly rate program and I have zero impact to grid (and can tell that to non-EV folks :) ).

It is unclear how it would be added. At what time would it do the notification? Would it only do it if it was plugged in? Would/Could you add options like this to that Smart Charging screen?

OPTIONS
| Charging at est. ##.## mi per hour
| Complete charging by HH:MM
| [__] Allow charging stopping?
| [__] Only charge from HH:MM to HH:MM
| [__] Notify if charge limit set to MAX at HH:MM
| [__] Only notify if also plugged in

What where you thinking about as far as adding it to the plug in reminder? I assume you were going to use the same time? That would seem to be OK. I'm not sure if there is a use case where people would want different times for plug in vs notify if set to max

PLUG-IN REMINDER
| [__] Notify if not plugged in at HH:MM
| [__] Honk Horn
| [__] Only notify if not plugged in
| [__] Notify if charge limit set to MAX

Reactions: SG57
I think the range charge notifications need to be independent of either the plug-in reminder or the smart charging feature. There are (many? most?) situations where you may need a selection of 100% charge for one charge cycle and then don't want to charge to 100% again after that. For example, a Model S 60 may need a 100% charge at a supercharger for the next leg of the journey, and then not need or want it after that. I envision the options as such:

Range charge Options:
[_] Notify me if my charge setting is above XX %.
[_] Daily at HH:MM
[_] X hours after a range charge level is set.
[_] Only if the car is at a smart charging location.
[_] Automatically reset charge level to YY % at the time of the notification.​

I used the smart charging with end-time scheduling with the newly released version overnight. It worked perfectly! I did not enable charge stopping, set the end time to 7:00 AM, and the charge actually ended at 6:44 AM. Great job @SG57!

Same for me. I picked 5am for my end time and it ended at ~4:45am *without* interruption according to my TED5000 graph. It also appeared to update my "Charging at est. ##.# mi per hour" number (from 20.0 to 19.5).

Dashboard for Tesla 5am.png

dashboard test 5am.png

Reactions: SG57 and Andyw2100
Thanks to all for the assistance.
Another ?
Is there anyway we could have alerts (!) show up on our phone like they do on the vehicle screen so we know something is going on when we aren't near the car.

Sorry all for the lack of communication last night, I had a dinner to prepare and was unable to announce the update after releasing it, but I was well aware it'd likely update automatically for most and you'd get to experience it.

So yes! There is a new update available as of last night with the following changes:
  • Smart charging improvements and fixes - also, the manual charge rate setting now automatically averages closer to your actual charge rate throughout the night
  • Added notify when plugged in option to plug-in reminder (as suggested by you guys)
  • Added support for no sun roof to Controls widget (as mentioned by you guys)
  • Added refresh button misclick protection to Controls widget (as mentioned by you guys)
  • Added close charge port door command to Controls screen (new APIs being used)
  • Added 2x1 dimensions support to Controls widget
  • Bug fixes
I finished the 1x1 charge widget, but I wanted to test it thoroughly prior to being thrown to the wolves. That being said, it's good to go so I'll get a small update out later today with it included, I hope you guys like it!

-

@Andyw2100 & @scottf200 , I was wondering if anyone would notice the manual charge rate updated itself automatically, good observation! Glad to see successful results, would you say that power reading graph is ideal?

Currently smart charging plans for a 15 minute early finish to account for potential inaccuracies in the manual charge rate, and any other potential weirdness that may happen throughout the night (drops in charge rate, power outages, Tesla server errors, etc). @agw convinced me people would rather finish sooner than later because range should take precedence over complete accuracy, is that agreeable? Did I word that correctly @agw? Perhaps I should make that optional, so those that wish to finish more accurately can and they accept the risk of potentially overshooting.

-

@robz , if by alerts you mean the push notifications the official app provides such as charging started, charging completed, summon started, etc. unfortunately I cannot create custom, new, meaningful ones myself for multiple reasons the main being your vehicle sends its status changes to Tesla's servers, not one of my own.

So your vehicle sends a status update to Tesla's servers saying charge completed, which then their server determines based on your notifications subscriptions whether to send a push notification to the official app on your phone about this charge completion, which then your phone receives and displays. I should be able to allow modifying the notifications you're subscribed to from within Dashboard for Tesla as those have respective APIs I can integrate with, but you may still need the official app installed in the background. I'll look into this more, but I believe it's a dead-end without my own service constantly polling your vehicle to detecting change (not ideal by any means).

Reactions: Mattzilla
-

@Andyw2100 & @scottf200 , I was wondering if anyone would notice the manual charge rate updated itself automatically, good observation! Glad to see successful results, would you say that power reading graph is ideal?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "power reading graph."

Ending 15 minutes early works for me! I can always adjust the end time if I find it is consistently finishing earlier than that, and I don't want it to.

Sorry all for the lack of communication last night, I had a dinner to prepare and was unable to announce the update after releasing it, but I was well aware it'd likely update automatically for most and you'd get to experience it.

So yes! There is a new update available as of last night with the following changes:
  • Smart charging improvements and fixes - also, the manual charge rate setting now automatically averages closer to your actual charge rate throughout the night
  • Added notify when plugged in option to plug-in reminder (as suggested by you guys)
  • Added support for no sun roof to Controls widget (as mentioned by you guys)
  • Added refresh button misclick protection to Controls widget (as mentioned by you guys)
  • Added close charge port door command to Controls screen (new APIs being used)
  • Added 2x1 dimensions support to Controls widget
  • Bug fixes
I finished the 1x1 charge widget, but I wanted to test it thoroughly prior to being thrown to the wolves. That being said, it's good to go so I'll get a small update out later today with it included, I hope you guys like it!

-

Currently smart charging plans for a 15 minute early finish to account for potential inaccuracies in the manual charge rate, and any other potential weirdness that may happen throughout the night (drops in charge rate, power outages, Tesla server errors, etc). @agw convinced me people would rather finish sooner than later because range should take precedence over complete accuracy, is that agreeable? Did I word that correctly @agw? Perhaps I should make that optional, so those that wish to finish more accurately can and they accept the risk of potentially overshooting.

-

@robz , if by alerts you mean the push notifications the official app provides such as charging started, charging completed, summon started, etc. unfortunately I cannot create custom, new, meaningful ones myself for multiple reasons the main being your vehicle sends its status changes to Tesla's servers, not one of my own.

So your vehicle sends a status update to Tesla's servers saying charge completed, which then their server determines based on your notifications subscriptions whether to send a push notification to the official app on your phone about this charge completion, which then your phone receives and displays. I should be able to allow modifying the notifications you're subscribed to from within Dashboard for Tesla as those have respective APIs I can integrate with, but you may still need the official app installed in the background. I'll look into this more, but I believe it's a dead-end without my own service constantly polling your vehicle to detecting change (not ideal by any means).

Can't wait for the 1x1 widget.

You are doing a fantastic job. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

All day today I've been getting "Tesla's servers are busy, please try again later (0x0)" in the notifications. Also when I run the app I'm getting "Network Error - A network error occurred, make sure you have internet access and try again. Too many follow-up requests: 21".

I have internet access on my phone without issue in other apps.

I also noticed that my TeslaLog.com logs have not updated since early this morning.

@Andyw2100 , the other user @scottf200 posted a TED5000 graph, that was the power reading diagram I was referencing.

@Mattzilla , thanks for your support!

@SomeJoe7777 , Tesla's servers are busy (0x0) is the error code for the Too many follow-up requests error and that error happens when Tesla's server requests redirect back and forth between their own servers and eventually fail. This is due to Tesla's servers for any number of reasons from server maintenance, server outages, server errors, load balancing issues, DNS issues, etc.

If TeslaLog.com logs haven't updated since early this morning perhaps they also are experiencing similar issues. The typical solution is to just try again and it usually resolves itself. If you are still experiencing this issue later this evening or tomorrow let me know.

A very small bug ?! The large widget could not stop loading... I had to remove and reinsert it.
The 1x1 widget worked and the app was running (and closed) during this. Only as info ! Thanks :)

Skärmklipp.JPG

I noticed that the app can be launched by the 6x1 widget so I have removed the default widget !

P.S. I must report another bug... After using the big widget to start the app, the widget gets nonfunctional.
I have to reinsert the widget to get it responding, and then it only works until the app is started.

I found that the widget worked again after hitting the refresh circles...

Last edited:
It seems to me that while the consensus is that ending 15 min early is OK, people also agree they can always change the desired finish 10 minutes ahead. In other words users can easily control and adjust the desired finish time as long as there is some consistency in the charge.
As such, I think it is OK to remove the 15 minute buffer and let everyone adjust by what is needed for comfort.

The graph is ideal as a stop at any time reduces the efficiency of a charge session.

Keep up the good work!

It seems to me that while the consensus is that ending 15 min early is OK, people also agree they can always change the desired finish 10 minutes ahead. In other words users can easily control and adjust the desired finish time as long as there is some consistency in the charge.
As such, I think it is OK to remove the 15 minute buffer and let everyone adjust by what is needed for comfort.

However last night it did not end up being a full 15 minutes early .... it was 6 minutes early! As you can see it didn't have any stop/starts throughout so it can vary. In this example, if he removes the 15 minute buffere then I would have ended at 5:09.

I could deal with it either way but I am just pointing out their point of better to end a little early than late worked in this example (my 1 of 3 times using it).

Dashboard for Tesla 5am 2nd example.png

However last night it did not end up being a full 15 minutes early .... it was 6 minutes early! As you can see it didn't have any stop/starts throughout so it can vary. In this example, if he removes the 15 minute buffere then I would have ended at 5:09.

I could deal with it either way but I am just pointing out their point of better to end a little early than late worked in this example (my 1 of 3 times using it).

While my charge last night ended exactly 15 minutes before my end-time, as designed, I think leaving the 15 minute buffer is the way to go. The reason I feel this way is largely because of new users, who may not be following this thread. Having the charge end 15 minutes early is less of a "negative" than having the charge not reach the expected SOC, at least in my opinion.

Also, if someone starts preheating or pre-cooling the car in the final minutes of the charge, the charge may take longer from that point.

I think the 15 minute buffer is perfect!