Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@GTIceman , will you ever be stylistically satiated? ;) I'll add it to the list, it only makes sense going forward so as not to be misleading, especially with the Model 3 at some point. I don't want you to think I don't know what vehicle I'm operating on.

@supratachophobia , you gave me a good laugh just now, thanks for the support and I like you too. Currently, all Access products (Founder and Standard) allow you to sign in and use all features present and future, minus the special, featured products. I will push out an update later today to address the confusion around products offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
@Alex D , there is some confusion I'll try to clear up in a quick update later today. I like the idea of the feature check marks in a grid for each mode and access type. To be clear though, a 33% reduction in price is the only difference (for now) between Founder and Standard access. Going forward, I may opt to give special treatment to Founder's as well.

@Dstrohl , I agree, a subscription-based model will sit better with people once always-on services are offered. I understand the bait-and-switch concern, it's not my intention. This is how it is in my head, currently, each additional feature (speed clocking, advanced climate, & summon and homelink) is a significant extra in terms of functionality gained and time in development that only a subset of users may want.

My assessment is as follows- not everyone needs Summon & Homelink because they don't have the tech package on their Tesla. Not everyone needs Advanced Climate because Camper Mode and Cabin Temperature Protection (soon!) would never be used by them. Not everyone needs Speed Clocking because performance analysis does not matter to them.

I agree not to stick a price on every little feature, I don't feel I've gone down that dark path, but if you feel I'm being unreasonable, do tell.

@Mattzilla , thanks for the kind words and joining us! I feel you on the widgets, I constantly am reminded how useful they'd be when checking my phone. I promise that's in the works, I plan to have a multitude of widgets, charge monitoring and quick control access to name a few. Widgets will be free for all, I feel they're useful to everyone and should be included in the access price.
Thank you for the clarification. Purchased the Founder Access and some features, thank you.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and SG57
@SG57 not until you add a high res 3D model of my car and make it fancy pantsy and rotate depending on what door I have open and also add a dark mode, haha. I think the change to the actual model looks so much better now and cleaner. What does the P mean, just that the car is in park?

Also, I don't think you have gone down the dark-side or path regarding pricing items out. Again I know not everyone needs summon but that seems like a very common piece in other apps.

Glad to hear you are looking at widgets. I feel there is a lack of good widgets for things generally.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and SG57
@GTIceman & @supratachophobia, hey fellas.

So there are 2 types of products currently, Access and Features. Access products do just that, grant you access to sign in and use every feature (minus the special ones). The Features product listing allows you to enable special functionality for exclusive, neat stuff. The Founder Access does not include any special features currently.

I'll try to clean up the wording to be more clear, thanks.
I couldn't wait for you to clean it up so I bought both. Thank you for your hard work.

• Love
Reactions: SG57
I just got the app and payed for it and the extra features. It works great, looks great and camper mode is the bomb. The old method keeping the car in Neutral sucks because you can't use it while you are charging. Just for that feature alone it's worth it for me.

Reactions: Mattzilla
@GTIceman , I was actually considering the 3D model approach, it's feasible but a difficult task. And yes the P means park. That icon is your current drive state. I can make it clickable with a simple Toast message detailing it. The dark mode theme is on my radar, it'll take some work but it'll happen in due time, don't worry.

@supratachophobia , fair enough! But for the others, I got the new update released few hours ago with more detailed purchase information. As for the firmware update, I am using http://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php to determine if a new firmware is available (there is no Tesla API for this, so I improvised). Currently it's showing 1 single car registered a new firmware version.... I'll adjust the logic a bit so more than just 1 car has to have the new firmware before it counts as available. Oh gosh, Take On Me was not my reference material but I'm flattered you'd associate my art work with such great art work in that music video.

@David99 , thanks for your support! I agree the old method of keeping the car in neutral was more of a hack than an actual feature. It couldn't be used while charging and it kept the daytime running lights, not ideal. No such limitations with the app, glad you like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: GTIceman
@SG57 - Ok, time for some legit feedback.
1. Huge win trying to cram every feature exposed by the API, into your app. I'm one of those people that like to have the options rather than not have them, even if the exact layout/interface is still evolving (which I think yours is).

2. I like the feature feedback when I do a command. This is something Energi never did, tell you what just happened when you clicked on that obscure icon.

3. Speaking of icons, I don't fully understand why there is a stick-figure guy's gun trying to pry open a lightbulb on top of the car. But the functionality seems to work, so pry away.

4. Great job with HVAC. All the options you would want are there, including steering wheel heater. I assume rear-seat heaters on not exposed in the API.

5. Android For The Win - Thank you so much for developing on this platform.

And now for some suggestions.
  • This was one of the top rated feature requests last fall to be included in 7.1 but Tesla has completely ignored this low-hanging fruit. Can your app have the ability to calculate the charge rate from the outlet, then take that number and multiply it by how many hours it would take to reach the currently set charge limit, and then trigger charging in such a way that it is complete 15min before a user-specified departure time? For example, I like to charge to 80%, or about 225 miles in range. I get home the night previous with 105 miles left in the electricity tank. I tell the car that I need to leave by 8am the following morning, so the app wakes up the car to start charging at 4am, giving me my 80% right at the time I'm leaving. Your discretion for wiggle room on a safe buffer.
  • Along those same lines of charging, can the app notify us by a user-specified time, if a charge cable has not been plugged into the car? For example, I get home, forget to plug in the car. The phone app notifies me at 11pm, right before bed, that I need to plug it in.
  • Lastly, what is your experience with fingerprint API access on Android? I think it's Ludicrous I can't use my fingerprint on the official Tesla app to start the car. I have to stand there like a savage punching in my password, when everything from banking, to unlock, to Play Store purchases accept my finger as password gospel. Extending this to initial app login would be fine too.

Again, all that to say, fantastic job. The Ohio owners group is getting together for lunch tomorrow, this app will be the topic of conversation.

@Mattzilla , glad you like it! Camping in your Tesla is an experience, especially if you have the panoramic roof.

@supratachophobia , again, thanks for the support, it means a lot.

1. Absolutely, and of course as new useful APIs are exposed, they too will be put to use.

2. It was of great import while designing the app to give explicit feedback when executing commands so you always know that something is being done to your vehicle and its result. I want to be as forthright as possible, glad you like it too.

3. Oh man, did I really miss the mark on the sun roof icon that badly?? The stick figure gun is supposed to be a roof, and the light bulb is supposed to be a sun. The way my brain saw it was- sun...roof....so I took a roof and stuck it over the sun.

4. Actually you have it backwards, the steering wheel heater status is not exposed while the rear seat heaters statuses are exposed through the API and should be functioning. Do you have a Model X? If so, I'd like to talk to you privately on this.

5. Android is my specialty, only made sense to target it initially. The iOS build is in the far future, but will be a fun task once I'm happy with the Android build.

-

I like your brain sir! Those are great ideas I hadn't thought of, they make sense and add value. I've assessed the feasibility of each of them, and they all look promising. The last 2 can be done easily enough, the 1st one will be the most challenging, but I'm confident it is do-able in an elegant manner (that's important to me, I will not release hacky features). I'll add each to my issue tracking system and prioritize them.

Thanks for the love, and tell the folks at the club I said hi :) Let them know they can use this 1-day-only access code 1083 to try out the app on their vehicles themselves for free, even the additional features. This applies to anyone else reading this as well, so give it a shot, but it's only valid this Wednesday. To enter the access code, touch and hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds (a cute nod to Tesla's own access code panel).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
@St Charles , thanks for your support, I appreciate it! And per your question, while a great idea I'd be happy to add... unfortunately we are all limited by the functionalities Tesla exposes through their web services. Currently, changing seat heaters and defrosters is not supported by Tesla (that we know of). But trust in due time as new functionalities are exposed, such as modifying seat heater levels, I'll be adding them in ASAP.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
@Mattzilla , glad you like it! Camping in your Tesla is an experience, especially if you have the panoramic roof.

@supratachophobia , again, thanks for the support, it means a lot.

1. Absolutely, and of course as new useful APIs are exposed, they too will be put to use.

2. It was of great import while designing the app to give explicit feedback when executing commands so you always know that something is being done to your vehicle and its result. I want to be as forthright as possible, glad you like it too.

3. Oh man, did I really miss the mark on the sun roof icon that badly?? The stick figure gun is supposed to be a roof, and the light bulb is supposed to be a sun. The way my brain saw it was- sun...roof....so I took a roof and stuck it over the sun.

4. Actually you have it backwards, the steering wheel heater status is not exposed while the rear seat heaters statuses are exposed through the API and should be functioning. Do you have a Model X? If so, I'd like to talk to you privately on this.

5. Android is my specialty, only made sense to target it initially. The iOS build is in the far future, but will be a fun task once I'm happy with the Android build.

-

I like your brain sir! Those are great ideas I hadn't thought of, they make sense and add value. I've assessed the feasibility of each of them, and they all look promising. The last 2 can be done easily enough, the 1st one will be the most challenging, but I'm confident it is do-able in an elegant manner (that's important to me, I will not release hacky features). I'll add each to my issue tracking system and prioritize them.

Thanks for the love, and tell the folks at the club I said hi :) Let them know they can use this 1-day-only access code 1083 to try out the app on their vehicles themselves for free, even the additional features. This applies to anyone else reading this as well, so give it a shot, but it's only valid this Wednesday. To enter the access code, touch and hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds (a cute nod to Tesla's own access code panel).

So we could expect these new features by.... Friday right?

But seriously, if you need a "Scheduling/Timers" Section as an add-on feature, I'd gladly pay for it as a capital raise here in the beginning.

Reactions: SG57