Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel you man a long time ago when I had a Corvette 1973 Stingray but I bought for a present for myself when I came back from overseas in a parking garage where I lived a Jeep with a spare tire on the back back into my Corvette and as Corvettes are all fiberglass my car lost and the Jeep didn't even get a scratch on the spare tire cover.

You guys need to stop seeing it so much as having to pay a couple of dollars for one we all payed Tesla a whole lot more then $14 and look at the app we get with them. You're also supporting improvements and future features from @SG57 that Tesla will never give you. So instead of all the complaining about a few dollars how about showing some gratitude and say thank you. He is providing a service for us that we can't get elsewhere and he's obviously worked very hard on so why shouldn't he get paid. Also if it was free it would probably full of ads no thank you here's my credit card ad free please! But to make this short so I don't ramble on because stingy people that expect everything to be free when they have never done anything for free in their life piss me off I say THANK YOU @SG57

Hey all, sorry for the silence lately, I recognize it's been some time since an update so here's a quick one.

My Tesla was away for repairs for nearly a month after a woman backed into it while parked, but I just got it back so I'm happy again. I'm amazed the quality of life difference having it back after being stuck driving an Audi Q5 rental - slow, cold, expensive gas, obfuscated and redundant control cluster, etc.

-

As far as the app is concerned I've just released an app update with a new Trips feature, added acceleration axis to speed clocking graphs, some quality of life improvements and important bug fixes.

You can find the Trips feature on the Controls screen, hopefully it's self explanatory. Essentially it gives you another way of recording your vehicle's trips independent of the trips being tracked from within the car itself. Trips are very simple odometer mileage A-B comparisons for now, though tapping on a trip will provide you some useful trip calculation metrics (duration, distance, etc.). Current trip information is limited to a trip name, your odometer mileage readings, and times although I welcome suggestions on what to expand this with (locations?). All trip information is stored locally on your device, and you must manually start and stop trips yourself from within the app.

-

With my Tesla now back in my hands I can focus on finishing Summon for Wear support and a few other nice improvements.

Let me know if you need anything else, if you've emailed me recently and I haven't replied yet be patient, I'm churning through emails as fast as I can.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Received a few reports early this morning of a problem with the app crashing after users updated their vehicle's firmware to 8.1. I'm looking into a fix right now and should have it out this evening.

Also included with this update will be a new feature - a Panic button. You can find it on the controls screen and it simply repeatedly honks your horn and flashes your lights for the duration you keep it active up to 1 minute. There is a reasonable delay between commands so as not to time you out for hitting Tesla's servers too fast.

Thanks all for your support, happy weekend!

@keithf , thanks for your support!

The rated, ideal, and estimated range values are reported directly from the car itself, no calculation is done from within the app.

The answer to your question depends on your current driving habits, I always try to use the estimated range when driving consistently and rated when driving inconsistently.

When driving consistently with a pattern, your estimated range is based on your current average Wh/mi determined by your latest driving and is likely to be more accurate than your rated range. But if you've been doing inconsistent things to your battery, like flooring it repeatedly, or driving at varying speeds (30 to 65 to 30 etc), driving up and down hills, or in variable weather changing the heat often, or otherwise driving battery inefficiently and your usage fluctuates a lot then your estimated range is not likely to be accurate to your actual range in your present instant Wh/mi driving state.

In pure math terms, rated mileage is calculated based on if you drove with an average Wh/mi of somewhere around 300 Wh/mi (varies depending on your vehicle). Ideal mileage is calculated based on if you drove absolutely perfectly at 54.5 mph (or something) on the highway at 235 Wh/mi (or something) on a flat road without flooring it with zero crosswinds, good tires, lite cargo, no HVAC, best-case scenario - almost never useful. Estimated mileage is calculated based on your average Wh/mi as observed in the past 5, 15, or 30 miles you've driven, so this value fluctuates based on your driving habits resulting in sometimes very accurate or very inaccurate results depending on your situation. If you're highway driving, use estimate. If you're city driving, use rated. That is a good rule of thumb maybe. When in doubt, go with estimate as it will only ever give you a smaller range.

Sorry for rambling, perhaps someone else can explain it better if that wasn't sufficient.

@keithf , thanks for your support!

The rated, ideal, and estimated range values are reported directly from the car itself, no calculation is done from within the app.

The answer to your question depends on your current driving habits, I always try to use the estimated range when driving consistently and rated when driving inconsistently.

When driving consistently with a pattern, your estimated range is based on your current average Wh/mi determined by your latest driving and is likely to be more accurate than your rated range. But if you've been doing inconsistent things to your battery, like flooring it repeatedly, or driving at varying speeds (30 to 65 to 30 etc), driving up and down hills, or in variable weather changing the heat often, or otherwise driving battery inefficiently and your usage fluctuates a lot then your estimated range is not likely to be accurate to your actual range in your present instant Wh/mi driving state.

In pure math terms, rated mileage is calculated based on if you drove with an average Wh/mi of somewhere around 300 Wh/mi (varies depending on your vehicle). Ideal mileage is calculated based on if you drove absolutely perfectly at 54.5 mph (or something) on the highway at 235 Wh/mi (or something) on a flat road without flooring it with zero crosswinds, good tires, lite cargo, no HVAC, best-case scenario - almost never useful. Estimated mileage is calculated based on your average Wh/mi as observed in the past 5, 15, or 30 miles you've driven, so this value fluctuates based on your driving habits resulting in sometimes very accurate or very inaccurate results depending on your situation. If you're highway driving, use estimate. If you're city driving, use rated. That is a good rule of thumb maybe. When in doubt, go with estimate as it will only ever give you a smaller range.

Sorry for rambling, perhaps someone else can explain it better if that wasn't sufficient.
Wow. That's the first time I seen the range explanation so simply put and in plain English. A really good explanation and a usable real world tip. Thanks and keep up the good work on the app.

@GTIceman , thanks for the support! I have a lot of cool new updates in the works - Wear summon, push-notifications, charge estimator tool, and widget upgrades.

Tesla Trips? Sounds like you may be combining 2 newish things into one - Tesla Tips and the new Trips feature.

Tesla Tips is a free web service I created as a collection of useful tips to make your life with a Tesla easier without having to dig through old forums looking for stuff, and anyone is free to submit a tip to help contribute to the knowledge.

Trips is a new feature you can find on the controls screen in the mobile app. Think of this as a trips meter that you find in the car, but on your device. Add a trip, give it a name then your starting mileage and date time are stored. When you're ready to end the trip, tap the "end" button on the trip in the list. The final distance, mileage, duration, etc. metric are shown in the trip details dialog you can access by tapping on the trip itself in the list at any time (even if the trip hasn't ended yet). These trips have no connection to the trips you create in the car itself.

Let me know if that didn't make sense or if you need anything else.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Alex D and GTIceman
@GTIceman , thanks for the support! I have a lot of cool new updates in the works - Wear summon, push-notifications, charge estimator tool, and widget upgrades.

Tesla Trips? Sounds like you may be combining 2 newish things into one - Tesla Tips and the new Trips feature.

Tesla Tips is a free web service I created as a collection of useful tips to make your life with a Tesla easier without having to dig through old forums looking for stuff, and anyone is free to submit a tip to help contribute to the knowledge.

Trips is a new feature you can find on the controls screen in the mobile app. Think of this as a trips meter that you find in the car, but on your device. Add a trip, give it a name then your starting mileage and date time are stored. When you're ready to end the trip, tap the "end" button on the trip in the list. The final distance, mileage, duration, etc. metric are shown in the trip details dialog you can access by tapping on the trip itself in the list at any time (even if the trip hasn't ended yet). These trips have no connection to the trips you create in the car itself.

Let me know if that didn't make sense or if you need anything else.

Thanks it was a very long day yesterday

Reactions: SG57
Hey all,

Just put out an update with some key quality of life improvements and a new feature I'm quite proud of - Vehicle Notifications.

-

BpaDmt8.png

Vehicle Notifications

You can now opt-in to automatically receive any number of vehicle notifications of your choosing akin to the official app, albeit with more flexibility.

For a detailed explanation, I reverse engineered the official Tesla app's push notifications so Dashboard for Tesla perfectly emulates the vehicle notifications feature only with less restrictions and more cool things to come - such as automatic behaviors tied to a vehicle notification!

This is the full list of vehicle notifications you are able to opt-in to receiving for your subscribed vehicles:
  • Car Alarm
  • Car Active*
  • Please Move Car
  • Climate Keeper Stopped
  • Charging Started
  • Charging Interrupted
  • Charging Completed
  • Firmware Update Available
  • Key Added*
  • Key Removed*
  • New Referral
  • Referral Secret Level Up
  • Summon Started
  • Summon Complete
  • Summon Failed
  • Grid Fault Contactor Trip*
  • Grid Resync Success*
Items marked with an * indicate I am not positive on what they are for and can only guess. Feel free to speculate with me below.

In addition to the above notifications, there are a number of urgent notifications you cannot opt-out of receiving - such as summon panic failure, or charge tapering. I could add support to silence (AKA not show the notification) these in the future if enough people would rather not see them pop-up, but just know your device will always technically receive these push notifications over the network for your subscribed vehicles even if I weren't to show it as a notification.

-

Other Changes

In case you haven't found them already, there have been a few other changes made recently that haven't been mentioned in a release post I'll list here.
  • Tesla Tips - a central repository for useful tips and hints for Tesla owners
  • Trips - a trip tracking feature
  • Tesla Referral Program Support - view your account referral details
  • Panic Button - automatically honk and flash your lights every few seconds when active
  • Estimate Charge Time Graph - view a graph of your projected charge time when charging
  • Quality of live improvements
  • Bug fixes
-

Coming Up
  • Wear Summon - I mean it this time!
  • Charge Time/Price Estimator Tool - calculate estimated charge times and prices easily
  • Powerwall Support - full support for Powerwall product APIs

-

If you're interested in trying the app out, use this access code for full access to every feature the app has to offer usable on your actual Tesla vehicle valid this Sunday-only:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds when signing in.

-

Thanks all for your support, let me know if you need anything.

Downloaded the update - now cannot signon. Says invalid password even though it was saved. Reset the password - still won't work.
Oopf, that's annoying. I will take a look later today (Sunday) and report my findings and/or release a fix.

By any chance does your password contain any special characters? This goes without saying but do NOT actually give me or anyone your password.

same logon problem, yes, special characters.
Thanks for the report, I have a fix going out as we speak. Sorry all for the inconvenience!

Silly bug on my part, I previously URL-encoded the password for sending as a query parameter, but with this new release I switched to sending it in the request body and forgot to stop URL-encoding the password. Clearly my password doesn't have any special characters or I wouldn't caught this myself, my bad. No damage done or privacy breaches were made possible here, just some failed log in attempts is the extent of it.

Reactions: KArnold