Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard view shows cars overlapping mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been noticing this more and more recently (and v9 maybe made it worse), but whenever a car is on the left or right of me, the 360 view on the dashboard shows it immediately next to my X or on top of it. (See the right car in the attached photo).

If a car is coming up behind me it will show correctly in the lane but as it passes me, it appears to juke into my car and and then back out again as it goes by. Happens on both sides.

Is anyone else having this issue? Could my side sensors not be working correctly?

Attachments

• ADFC988D-F7C0-4A01-8365-8A315C3E4A5D.jpeg
    ADFC988D-F7C0-4A01-8365-8A315C3E4A5D.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 85
Have been noticing this more and more recently (and v9 maybe made it worse), but whenever a car is on the left or right of me, the 360 view on the dashboard shows it immediately next to my X or on top of it. (See the right car in the attached photo).

If a car is coming up behind me it will show correctly in the lane but as it passes me, it appears to juke into my car and and then back out again as it goes by. Happens on both sides.

Is anyone else having this issue? Could my side sensors not be working correctly?

Same for me ..nothing wrong with your sensors ..hopefully fixed in future update

Ill try to add a photo later but yes, this only started happening to me on v9, but its most noticeable when parking in my "full" garage, it shows almost or all the different new icons crowding / overlapping my car display. This hasnt really bothered me, since i mainly watch for the distance sensors in this case.

I get dancing cars surrounding my P3D+. Stopped at a light, with all the cars around me also at a full stop, the cars around me on the display seem to float around a bit, and one today seemed to be hopping around in time to the beat of the song I was listening to (not quite keeping time, but close enough that my son thought to comment on the dance).

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
Same here... they danced wickedly the first couple days, but seem more stable now - albeit not as stable as prior to V9.

I hear we're utilizing all 8 cameras cameras now? Could it be the 'new' cameras are in the process of calibrating?

First 50-100 miles are the cameras calibrating.

Another point to note, what is being shown in the visualization is not exactly whats going on behind the scenes. It's the software boffins at Tesla trying to dumb down the incredible amount of data being generated by the car to the screen. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Go to the Auontomous Vehicles sub-forum on this site and read the “Neural Network” thread. You can skip down to page 26 or 27 and Jimmyd (one of the guys who has access to a Tesla to see the neural net) has an explanation of this in V9. I understand like 10% of what he posts, but damn is it interesting stuff.

Essentially, he says this particular display issue means nothing. None of what you see is being used to drive the car, but is a way to render it for the driver as help. The code needs refinement to better display what it sees, especially at low speeds where things really can get wonky. But it means precisely zero for the Autopilot functionality.