Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam and Security Cams

ArnieR

Jul 30, 2014
Was wondering if my MX could be prewired for cameras front, rear and sides for security or if the existing cams could be recorded or available with sensors. So as much money I'm investing, wouldn't it seem logical to have security cams? Could the car be prewired to power cameras?

ArnieR

Jul 30, 2014
As I understand, the MX has built in camera's so why can't we use and record them as well as having functions that dash cams have?

tliving

Mar 8, 2014
New England, USA
I doubt we can tap into the X's cams, I'm more interested in how hard it is going to be to tap power and run cables through that thin power strip on the long windshield to mount the cam. There's also the possibility of mounting it in a new/odd location above drivers right shoulder since the windshield is so high.

EboMike

Oct 1, 2015
Oceanside, CA
I guess your best bet is to have a suction cup mounted camera and go along the power strip along the center of the windshield, like tliving said. Maybe using transparent plastic clips with adhesive to keep the cable straight, and then tuck it in somewhere once you get to the roof if possible, or try to discreetly go along the top of the windshield with more plastic clips if not. I can't think of a better solution without seeing a Model X myself. Until someone comes up with a solar/battery powered dash camera.

ArnieR

Jul 30, 2014
So about the time that you go to great effort to wire up cameras...remote devices will be available. Thanks for your comments.

Rossy

Aug 1, 2017
Hillsboro,Oregon
You could tap into the trailer wiring 12V connector possibly. The manual has the pinout (as I recall). I believe it's behind the left kick panel/carpet In front of the drivers door.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC