TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dashcam and Security Cams

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by ArnieR, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ArnieR

ArnieR Member

Was wondering if my MX could be prewired for cameras front, rear and sides for security or if the existing cams could be recorded or available with sensors. So as much money I'm investing, wouldn't it seem logical to have security cams? Could the car be prewired to power cameras?

2. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

3. David99

David99 Active Member

+1

I really think Dash cams or at least power for them should be standard with all cars.

4. ArnieR

ArnieR Member

As I understand, the MX has built in camera's so why can't we use and record them as well as having functions that dash cams have?

5. tliving

tliving Member

I doubt we can tap into the X's cams, I'm more interested in how hard it is going to be to tap power and run cables through that thin power strip on the long windshield to mount the cam. There's also the possibility of mounting it in a new/odd location above drivers right shoulder since the windshield is so high.

6. EboMike

EboMike Member

I guess your best bet is to have a suction cup mounted camera and go along the power strip along the center of the windshield, like tliving said. Maybe using transparent plastic clips with adhesive to keep the cable straight, and then tuck it in somewhere once you get to the roof if possible, or try to discreetly go along the top of the windshield with more plastic clips if not. I can't think of a better solution without seeing a Model X myself. Until someone comes up with a solar/battery powered dash camera.

7. ArnieR

ArnieR Member

So about the time that you go to great effort to wire up cameras...remote devices will be available. Thanks for your comments.

8. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

This would be a great feature and I would pay extra for.