Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam and Sentry in v11 - how do you turn these on and what's the diff between Sentry in "Controls" and "Safety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Sentry:

I tried to turn off Sentry and i hit the icon in "Controls" so that the red record logo is gone. However Sentry remained on. When you go to "Safety" there's an ability to turn "Sentry Mode" off or on and this is separate from the Sentry on/off in "Controls".

Dashcam:
In v11, you hold the Dashcam logo to turn dashcam on or off and you tap it to begin a new recording. In v11, if you hold the "Record" logo in "Controls" nothing happens. And if you tap it, it seems to start a new recording. How do you simply arm the dashcam to record without making a new recording right then and there?

Also in sentry, how do you make the Tesla NOT flash somebody when they set off Sentry. I'm getting recordings where people are walking by. Minding their own business and my car flashes them. I don't want this behavior.

Please see the video here for reference:

Your questions are relevant even with the old UI.

For Sentry, I think the option under Safety just determines the default behavior, but you can still use the icon to turn it on and off. There’s currently no way to disable the flashing lights for Sentry events.

For dashcam, turning it on starts recording immediately, so the fact that you see footage in the viewer is expected. Pressing and holding the icon saves footage in the SavedClips folder, pressing it briefly turns dashcam on and off. It was always tricky to do what you wanted even with the old UI.

Your questions are relevant even with the old UI.

For Sentry, I think the option under Safety just determines the default behavior, but you can still use the icon to turn it on and off. There’s currently no way to disable the flashing lights for Sentry events.

For dashcam, turning it on starts recording immediately, so the fact that you see footage in the viewer is expected. Pressing and holding the icon saves footage in the SavedClips folder, pressing it briefly turns dashcam on and off. It was always tricky to do what you wanted even with the old UI.
The sentry option in safety seems to override the sentry icon in controls. Because last night i turned off the sentry icon in controls, but "sentry mode" in safety was set to on and it stayed on all night.

So if this is the case, I'm confused as to what the sentry icon in "controls" does?

The sentry option in safety seems to override the sentry icon in controls. Because last night i turned off the sentry icon in controls, but "sentry mode" in safety was set to on and it stayed on all night.

So if this is the case, I'm confused as to what the sentry icon in "controls" does?
The Sentry icon in Controls isn’t a “sticky” setting (and wasn’t before either), so if you turn it off there, it will go on again the next time you put the car in park. If you disable it under Safety, it shouldn’t come on unless you explicitly turn it on under Controls.

How do you view footage of dashcam or sentry? Doesn’t seem to work for me ever since update. When I click on the dash cam icon, I keep getting the same picture from this morning, after multiple recorded drives and a couple sentrys. Also, the button in controls only seems to do anything like 20% of the time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 1,006
I, too, have had some issues with Sentry and Dascham since V11.

Sentry is currently turned off in "Safety" after two mysterious alarm triggers. This may have been flies, though.

Dascham however, seems random. I have put the icon in the dock but whether I tap it or press and hold, it won't save a clip, typically showing a camera view for a second or two before warning that dashcam viewer is not available.

Is this a bug or am I missing a trick?

That icon you can fix to the bottom of the screen is just to open the viewer. If you want to record hit the easily accessible car icon and then hit the massive record button...alternatively just honk the horn.
So no equivalent to the one-touch option that used to exist?

Sounds familiar all of a sudden!

I don't want to honk the horn in most non-accident dashcam scenarios any more than I want to flash my lights to access fog lights.

So no equivalent to the one-touch option that used to exist?

Sounds familiar all of a sudden!

I don't want to honk the horn in most non-accident dashcam scenarios any more than I want to flash my lights to access fog lights.
Well that button was much harder to hit accurately AND safely as you were driving along, it was way too small...at least this way you can hit the car button without even looking and you cant miss the large record button. Actually safer now than before. As for fog lights you dont actually have to flash lights...push stalk forward and it 'toggles' automatic high beam, settings pop up and then you hit fog lights. Pretty easy really. If you dont want auto high beam then just push stalk forward again to toggle off.

Well that button was much harder to hit accurately AND safely as you were driving along, it was way too small...at least this way you can hit the car button without even looking and you cant miss the large record button. Actually safer now than before. As for fog lights you dont actually have to flash lights...push stalk forward and it 'toggles' automatic high beam, settings pop up and then you hit fog lights. Pretty easy really. If you dont want auto high beam then just push stalk forward again to toggle off.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm!

I agree it's a mess. Hopefully updates/tweaks will sort these glitches.