TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dashcam can't get GPS signal (assuming due to windshield?)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kirkbauer, Jul 3, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I have a Blackvue 600 front dashcam and it doesn't seem to get an GPS signal. I assume that is due to my windshield in the P85D.

Unfortunately the recordings don't have speed, coordinates, and possibly most importantly the correct time. I don't see any way to set the clock on the Blackvue, only the timezone, so I assume it expects to use GPS for that.

Any ideas?

2. tezzla

tezzla Member

#2 tezzla, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    I have my BV650 mounted to the left of the rear view mirror and I get a surprisingly good GPS signal on my P85D, much better than my previous P85.

Conversely, my FasTrac doesn't work at all in the P85D (no problems in the P85). I had the FasTrac mounted on the right side of the rear view mirror.

3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Hmm, has the windshield changed at all on the P85D as time goes on? I'll pull it out of the mounting bracket and see if I can get GPS signal in other places.

4. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

#4 Nevek, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Blackvue has a PC download that lets you set the time manually. Kind of klugey since you have to approximate how long it will take to get the memory card back into the unit in the car, but it does work.

I was was going to post a link but the Blackvue site is not responding. Hunt for it in the downloads section of their website.

found it:
    BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

5. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Did you try locating your cell phone at about the same spot and see if the GPS in it works properly? I've never had problems getting a GPS signal on my phone in the car. Perhaps the dashcam is the problem?

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

In the pre auto pilot cars, the GPS zone was up by the dotted area to the right of the rear view mirror. Where is it in the auto pilot cars?

7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

There is no dotted area on my windshield...

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have the 650 and GPS is working fine but it took hours the very first time to lock on. i.e. I had to do drive around most of the first day without gps. After that, it locks on but it takes about 1 to 2 minutes every time it comes out of parking mode.

9. JPP

JPP Active Member

In my 2013 build S85 my Blackvue 550 dual cam has spotty GPS lock, sometimes great, sometimes not so much (camera mounted behind rear view mirror just below mirror mount). I do recall that when I installed it, it took like forever to get the first lock.

In my wife's new June 2015 build S70D with autopilot, and the camera mounted behind the mirror below the now bulkier larger mirror mount, her Blackvue 650 has not been able to get a GPS lock since I installed it a week ago. I have not yet resorted to setting the time manually--did set the time zone and updated firmware. We will see....