Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam captures a scary moment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
This car pulls up along side me, then just starts changing lanes into me basically running me off the road.

You can see in the right repeater how he drifted into the lane to his right, then can swinging back wildly into my lane. Maybe falling asleep or something.

Yes, AP was on, but I didn't hear any alarms, and yanked the wheel as I saw him veer towards me.
I am not sure if AP was going to steer me onto the shoulder as well, or if it was all up to me.

2004 Toyota Camry LE
California "5FZZ866"
Headed North on highway 280 toward Daly City

Looked like either drunk or too tired to be driving.

His front left fender appeared to be repainted and the wheel was missing the hub-cap, like maybe he hit someone before in the same place where he tried to run into me.

Hopefully, you have better luck with reporting something like that than 8 did last summer. I called 911 on a driver in Missouri. Called 3 times over an hour period as they forced numerous people out of their lanes and halfway onto the shoulder to avoid collisions. I stayed way back from them in case they eventually made contact and caused an accident. Not a single highway patrol showed up. On the last call, I said, “I guess one way to handle a drunk driver is to wait until they leave your state’s jurisdiction. Nice work folks.”

He most definitely weaved right into my lane forcing me to make a dangerous emergency swerve onto the shoulder.
I had kids in the back seats too. It scared us all, and I was lucky that I noticed (just) in time to avoid having him hit me, and lucky that the shoulder was clear long enough for him to realize and weave back out of my lane.

I have seen other cars weave before, but this is the first time (in my Tesla) that someone forced me out of my lane.

You can see a bit of him in my lane here:

mylane.png

His tire looks sort of flat. Maybe his car was pulling to the side and he was having trouble keeping control.

The built-in dashcam has a forward distance camera... So the video misses the worse part when he was more in my lane. He was starting to accelerate and jiggle back out of the line by the time you see his car in the distance view. It was scarier in person than the video portrays.