TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dashcam card/stick

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by RJUK, Apr 6, 2020.

1. RJUK

RJUK Member

Hi folks,

A while back I bought a memory card to use for sentry mode/dashcam. After reading on here that the best thing to use is a high endurance MicroSD card with a USB adaptor I ordered a SanDisk High Endurance 100MBs Micro SDXC Card and put it in a USB adaptor.

It didn't work, however I had stupidly put the adaptor through the washing machine just before using it, so I found some other adaptors and tried those. I had two identical ones, one worked, the other didn't. Anyway, I used the working one and forgot about it, until the other day when I returned to my car to see an error message on the screen claiming that my storage device wasn't fast enough and needed to be capable of (I think) 4MBps. I've only had that message once in months of using this card, so I'm not sure if it was a random glitch or an issue with the card adaptor. Clearly the card I have is plenty fast enough...

Anyway, I had a Tesla service appointment booked to fix a few things so asked the guy if the USB ports were USB 3.0. He said they were, although I'm not sure he's right.

Anyway, I figured the adaptor must be the issue slowing the card down, so I bought a brand new SanDisk USB 3.0 MicroSD adaptor and tried that earlier.

Didn't work at all.

Anybody know why some adaptors work and others don't? Doesn't seem to make any sense. It's just an adaptor after all.

Perhaps somebody knows of an adaptor that works really well in the Tesla? Or should I stick with the old one that works and ignore the odd (rare) message about it being too slow?

Cheers

2. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

That message shows up for "occasionally"

3. RJUK

RJUK Member

The thing is, the adaptor that seems to work for me (and only showed the error message once, referring to a sentry cam trigger (rather than dashcam recording) I'm pretty sure is only USB 2.0. I got it somewhere as a freebie years ago.

However, the new SanDisk adaptor I have is USB 3.0 and on TeslaTap's website as being a good one to use.

It's the SanDisk one shown in the below article, with the photo of 4 adaptors, it's the one on the far right.

USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

4. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

There are something like 900 threads already on this subject, included a stickied one - try one of those for answers.

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

This issue has recently been acknowledged to an owner as a flaw/. Said it would be fixed but didn't have a fix date.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Did you see how full the card was?

flash memory slows down, often quite a lot, as it gets full.

I clean off my USB key every 3-4 months (it never gets more than maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds full in that amount of time) and in 18 months I've never had any issue with the too slow junk.

7. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

They are not 3.0

8. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

9. RJUK

RJUK Member

Yes, I've read a number of threads on this and other websites like the TeslaTap one that I mentioned. Both you and TeslaTap recommend the SanDisk USB 3.0 adaptor, which is the one I just bought which isn't working for me. One thread I saw says that it stopped working around November for some reason, so I'm surprised that yours is still working.

If I switch back to the Samsung adaptor I was using then mine works fine, so I know it's not the card or the USB port. The only issue is the "device too slow" warning that I got recently - which is why I'm searching for a new card reader.

Sounds like the port isn't USB 3.0 anyway though...

10. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

@RJUK Do you have a laptop to confirm the bits work properly outside of the car?