Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam - Caught accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't ride, but totally understand folk who choose to do so.
This could have easily been a fender bender with a car as the Audi simply didn't look to clear. It was in too much a hurry to get past the minivan and failed to get ahead if the car in front of us so wanted to pull over two lanes to clear that gap.

The after accident actions of leaving the scene only enhances this thought.

The cyclist could have made it easier. But he wasn't even lane splitting at the time of the accident.

@AEZ -- true -- I wonder how AP would have reacted if engaged in that situation. Thankfully it wasn't.
It's easy for us to try and NFL Replay this to death after the fact on a situation that took a second or two. I agree, it certainly looks like the Audi was trying to get two lanes right to get around traffic - and the fact they didn't stop certainly doesn't help them. But I also think the motorcycle was intending to lane split since he was almost on the hashes just before he got hit. I'm with @Kermee, that the motorcycle bears some responsibility for this for the illegal lane change. Coming over three lanes is dangerous and as I suspected also illegal in CA. Should the Audi have seen him, probably so, but he also came up on the Audi very quickly.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a how-to on setting up the USB drive so it can camera and music?

My thought there is that in the scenario in this video I am guessing your likely course of action is to give the usb stick to the officer that shows up. And now yoi’ve lost your music.

But since this is on YouTube I am guessing the OP emailed the evidence to the officer - which surprises me (letting a witness walk away with key evidence).

In California if you leave the scene of an accident like this you can convert something that was 100% the other side’s fault into a felony on your part. Especially if there is any injury. And you should always assume an injury when a motorcycle is involed.

The audi driver has possibly converted paying slightly higher insurance for 3 years into sitting in prison for 3 years...

Coming over three lanes is dangerous and as I suspected also illegal in CA. Should the Audi have seen him, probably so, but he also came up on the Audi very quickly.

What section of the California Vehicle Code did the motorcyclist violate? Where are the limits on lane changes per second? And where are the limits on closing speed compared to the vehicle in the next lane over?

Many seem to be coming to the conclusion that the motorcyclist "did something illegal" without specific definition of the violation. Reckless driving (CVC 23103-5) requires "wanton disregard for the safety of people or property" and this is hard to argue. Had the Audi not made an unsafe lane change, there would not have been an issue. It is hard to see this as reckless.

So a little perspective: The bike was legally in his lane. The Audi made an unsafe lane change and caused the accident.

Should the motorcyclist have been driving more defensively? Absolutely!! I am sure he would agree with this. But let's not make "insufficiently defensive driving" illegal. . .

Rant over. . .

What section of the California Vehicle Code did the motorcyclist violate? Where are the limits on lane changes per second? And where are the limits on closing speed compared to the vehicle in the next lane over?

Many seem to be coming to the conclusion that the motorcyclist "did something illegal" without specific definition of the violation. Reckless driving (CVC 23103-5) requires "wanton disregard for the safety of people or property" and this is hard to argue. Had the Audi not made an unsafe lane change, there would not have been an issue. It is hard to see this as reckless.

So a little perspective: The bike was legally in his lane. The Audi made an unsafe lane change and caused the accident.

Should the motorcyclist have been driving more defensively? Absolutely!! I am sure he would agree with this. But let's not make "insufficiently defensive driving" illegal. . .

Rant over. . .
This is what I'm sure people are referring to:
22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given
continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before
turning.

Clearly people have different interpretations of whether the motorcyclists actions were legal or illegal. As a former Police Officer in Colorado, I can tell you it was an illegal lane change under CO law. As I stated before, I believe it is under CA law as well, and I suspect the above statutes are the ones pertaining to crossing multiple lanes.

turning.

Clearly people have different interpretations of whether the motorcyclists actions were legal or illegal. As a former Police Officer in Colorado, I can tell you it was an illegal lane change under CO law. As I stated before, I believe it is under CA law as well, and I suspect the above statutes are the ones pertaining to crossing multiple lanes.

I think legally, you may be correct. But I don't think any highway patrol in California will give out a ticket for changing lanes too fast unless the driver cut off the highway patrol car. It would be like giving out a speeding ticket driving 5 mph above the speed limit.

But anyway, I just want to thank OP for the thread. Because of these thread, I finally decided to try out the "correct" side mirrors positioning. OMG, I can't believe I have been driving all these years without it!

I think legally, you may be correct. But I don't think any highway patrol in California will give out a ticket for changing lanes too fast unless the driver cut off the highway patrol car. It would be like giving out a speeding ticket driving 5 mph above the speed limit.

But anyway, I just want to thank OP for the thread. Because of these thread, I finally decided to try out the "correct" side mirrors positioning. OMG, I can't believe I have been driving all these years without it!
Agreed, and it's certainly hard to prove (except in the case when you have a video like this), but the intent is to keep people from crossing multiple lanes that quickly. It can be unsafe.

hopefully the biker is ok.

But I gotta say, still not seeing the value of the dash cam to the wife who was driving the TSLA. Fortunately, she was a conservative distance back, and was able to stop in time. So, the dash cam offers no value to her.

hopefully the biker is ok.

But I gotta say, still not seeing the value of the dash cam to the wife who was driving the TSLA. Fortunately, she was a conservative distance back, and was able to stop in time. So, the dash cam offers no value to her.

Sometimes things are better for society, not just for you. Maybe someday someone will be able to help you out with their dashcam.

f
This is what I'm sure people are referring to:
22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

turning.

Reading that law, as long as the rider had their signal on for 100ft when they began the changes, it was legal. It doesn't say anything about the 100ft not being during a previous turn.

Even as the rider moved towards the line they still had their turn signal on.

On the other hand, the Audi driver clearly made an illegal lane change because they began to change lanes immediately after putting their turn signal on.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and KG M3
f

Reading that law, as long as the rider had their signal on for 100ft when they began the changes, it was legal. It doesn't say anything about the 100ft not being during a previous turn.

Even as the rider moved towards the line they still had their turn signal on.

On the other hand, the Audi driver clearly made an illegal lane change because they began to change lanes immediately after putting their turn signal on.
He didn’t travel 100 feet in each lane so he couldn’t have kept his turn signal on for the required amount in each lane. At least looks like less than 100 feet to me.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, this was very crazy to capture for us. Ironically, it's the THIRD cycling accident we've witnessed over the past 5 years. For those who do happen to witness something -- please stop, assist, and render aid.

I enjoy cyclists and don't mind sharing the road with them. We all do stupid human tricks on both sides of the coin. The key is not to do them as much and be aware when others do, right?

Don't know what would have happened if EAP was engaged. Glad it wasn't!

It's incredible how viewing a single 1 minute frame so many folk have differing opinions on level of fault.

The video helps us by NOT be called to testify our viewpoint recollection. Our testimony would be to verify that the video is ours and we witnessed what we saw on the video. Done. So, it does help with the witness testimony :)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J