Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam - Caught accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the biker was trying to lane split, because I can't think of any other reason that the biker would pull that far to the left of the lane. The Audi had the blinker on, and it looked at the end of the video as though he/she was going to pull over to stop - did the driver do that?. As a former biker, what the rider did was NOT something I would ever have done. Also, it's possible that the pulled right into the Audi's blind spot. Certainly enough blame to go around here.

Looks like the biker was trying to lane split, because I can't think of any other reason that the biker would pull that far to the left of the lane. The Audi had the blinker on, and it looked at the end of the video as though he/she was going to pull over to stop - did the driver do that?. As a former biker, what the rider did was NOT something I would ever have done. Also, it's possible that the pulled right into the Audi's blind spot. Certainly enough blame to go around here.
I agree with this, not sure how the Audi could have seen him. He came over from two lanes over in a matter of seconds, right into the blind spot. I wouldn't say the Audi is at fault here. Now, if the Audi left the scene (as others pointed out, it looked like they were trying to get to the shoulder), then they definitely get a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Looks to me that the Audi first tried to pull to the left shoulder and then decided to make its way to the right shoulder... I think it's hard to place blame on this one. The motorcycle came in at a very unlucky angle and I'm guessing it was immediately after the Audi driver thought the space was clear.

Reactions: APotatoGod
-Resolution is good and yes, got the plate # when it was passing to the left.
-The biker did come over, but was clearly in our lane at the time of the accident. The intention probably was to lane split as he was waiting for room to open up since he was on a wider bike.
-The Audi was already tailing the minivan ahead and was itching to pass. The Audi simply didn't check their spot, signalled without clearing and moved into the next lane.
-One may want to try to clear 4 lanes to stop, but they just dismounted a biker. One would think to simply stop and assist.
-They did not stay from our understanding, or at least present themselves to CHPs knowledge

-Resolution is good and yes, got the plate # when it was passing to the left.
-The biker did come over, but was clearly in our lane at the time of the accident. The intention probably was to lane split as he was waiting for room to open up since he was on a wider bike.
-The Audi was already tailing the minivan ahead and was itching to pass. The Audi simply didn't check their spot, signalled without clearing and moved into the next lane.
-One may want to try to clear 4 lanes to stop, but they just dismounted a biker. One would think to simply stop and assist.
-They did not stay from our understanding, or at least present themselves to CHPs knowledge
After watching it again a few times, I've gotta agree with you, Audi definitely seems aggressive. I think the motorcylist is still somewhat at fault for that lane change. That's not a legal lane change crossing over multiple lanes that quickly. At least not in Colorado and I would assume in California as well. Although I drive every other week in California, so you guys tend to have your own set of rules. ;)

Reactions: APotatoGod
I agree with this, not sure how the Audi could have seen him. He came over from two lanes over in a matter of seconds, right into the blind spot. I wouldn't say the Audi is at fault here. Now, if the Audi left the scene (as others pointed out, it looked like they were trying to get to the shoulder), then they definitely get a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

There's no blind spot when you use your mirrors and look over your shoulder properly.

If you use your turn signal properly, rather than putting it on and then moving immediately, you give yourself time to look, and give time for other vehicles to be ready.

It seems to me that the Audi driver hit their brakes, made a quick decision to change lanes and didn't look properly before _and while_ maneuvering.

The motorcycle rider could have done better, but they didn't make an illegal maneuver and they were in the center of their lane when the Audi driver decided to change lanes.

There's no blind spot when you use your mirrors and look over your shoulder properly.

If you use your turn signal properly, rather than putting it on and then moving immediately, you give yourself time to look, and give time for other vehicles to be ready.

It seems to me that the Audi driver hit their brakes, made a quick decision to change lanes and didn't look properly before _and while_ maneuvering.

The motorcycle rider could have done better, but they didn't make an illegal maneuver and they were in the center of their lane when the Audi driver decided to change lanes.
Fair enough, but like I said, that is an illegal lane change in Colorado (former Police Officer so I do know). If it isn’t illegal in CA (I’d be shocked if it isn’t), it certainly was unsafe. But agreed, Audi primarily at fault.

I think motorcycle lane splitting is dangerous. This just shows the problems. I can't count the number of times I've had a motorcycle pass me on one side or the other to my complete surprise. It should be illegal.