Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam doesn’t alert when it isn’t working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dashcam icon was red under the controls screen, indicating that all is well. I needed to save the recent clips so I pressed the dashcam icon and it indicated it was saving. However, then the dashcam icon became grayed out indicating a malfunction. I checked the clips and it turns out my dashcam stopped recording a week ago.

Tesla really needs to alert the driver if the dashcam isn’t working. This is a safety and security issue.

I had the same problem. Car was damaged and no recording.

Tesla has a problem with fundamentals. They don’t appear to have good regression tests, or even care to fix things that a normal sw company would take serious. Their to busy chasing the next shiny feature.

I get alert messages when there’s a dashcam issue. They don’t pop up on the screen, but you’ll see an alert icon (triangle with exclamation) at the top of the screen, which you can tap to display all the alerts.

I suspect it’s based on the type of issue. And that there’s a class of failures that its silently dropping alerts for.

Same issue with me. I believe its from one of the last 2 updates. I even cleared out everything and had the car format the drive. Still no dashcam, doesn't record at all. Says I have sentry alerts but no videos. I love the updates and the free new features but its really starting to suck when they continue to screw up other perfectly working features, especially dashcam and sentry mode.

Same issue with me. I believe its from one of the last 2 updates. I even cleared out everything and had the car format the drive. Still no dashcam, doesn't record at all. Says I have sentry alerts but no videos. I love the updates and the free new features but its really starting to suck when they continue to screw up other perfectly working features, especially dashcam and sentry mode.
It’s an advertised feature of the car. It was near the top of list of features my wife wanted. I really think it’s a fail that it can have such poor reliability. Since it’s a security feature it should be designed to get positive feedback that it’s working or it should alert. And it should at least have a suture of tests and bugs on it should be taken somewhat seriously. (After bugs on safety issues).

Of course if it complained when it’s not working that would probably result in more service calls. But it’s a feature being sold. If they can’t support it, then don’t sell it.

Or call it Beta like everything else in the car.

Reactions: Rmchrger
There was a long thread on this but in previous updates there were many people getting error messages even though their dashcam was working fine. Now they have hidden all these less critical alerts under the controls. You can still see them by opening the alerts section, but they no longer pop up on the main screen.

• Informative
If it helps anyone else. I erased my saved footage from my ssd drive and tried using the car to format the drive but it failed multiple times. I took my ssd drive out and started over on my home computer. Had to partition it again (for music) and added the TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode files as required. Dashcam nows works and saves again. Haven't tested Sentry mode yet to see if its saving but I'm hopeful since the dashcam is operating correctly again. I have no idea what caused it to glitch out but I still think it was update related. Maybe this will help someone else out.

If it helps anyone else. I erased my saved footage from my ssd drive and tried using the car to format the drive but it failed multiple times. I took my ssd drive out and started over on my home computer. Had to partition it again (for music) and added the TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode files as required. Dashcam nows works and saves again. Haven't tested Sentry mode yet to see if its saving but I'm hopeful since the dashcam is operating correctly again. I have no idea what caused it to glitch out but I still think it was update related. Maybe this will help someone else out.

In my case I suspect a 2 finger reboot of the car while it was recording. When I installed the SSD on windows it complained it was corrupted and needed to run chkdsk. I did that, there didn’t seem to be anything large wrong but the Telsa had made many 550 byte recordings. I reformatted it using windows and the car viewer started working again.

Thank you for this. I don't know how long my dashcam hasn't been working, but after messing with it for weeks I finally brought it inside and manually added the TeslaCam folder and now it works again for the first time since... well, who knows? Thank goodness I didn't need it.

I've learned a couple of things about this that might be useful.

First of all, I've found that there are often USB issues that require removing, then inserting the USB drive. This was especially bad with the USB stick that came with the car. I now use microUSB drives made for cameras, with an adapter.

If you get fancy and partition the drive, or use a multi-card adapter, or probably a hub, the car can no longer format the drive. Better to use a separate USB drive if you want USB music because formatting the drive regularly will usually eliminate the problem. I format it whenever I think about it; it's very fast to do, takes a second or two. Just make sure you don't have something on there that you want to save.

This behavior seems to be tied to rebooting the CID/ICE. Dashcam was working and the moment I rebooted the ICE, the dashcam stopped working and required reformatting thru the GUI.

It seems there is a bug in this software that causes the ICE to crash every few days so that could explain the behavior I’m experiencing.

Reactions: Marty3SR+
After several months of working flawlessly, I’m finding that I have to reformat the drive about once every 3-4 days. Im using the built in function and it reports “success!” On the reformat but then it stops working suddenly a few days later.
We are having the same issue. It’s a new problem that seems to be related to 2022.12.3.2. Hopefully it will be fixed with the next software update.

Reactions: apacheguy
I get alert messages when there’s a dashcam issue. They don’t pop up on the screen, but you’ll see an alert icon (triangle with exclamation) at the top of the screen, which you can tap to display all the alerts.
I have had my Model 3 for over a year, and have never gotten these alerts. The only way I've been able to determine in advance that it wasn't going to work is by the dashcam icon, which has an 'X' in the icon where there is usually a red dot.

If you partition the drive, the car will not partition the drive. This was one of the reasons I gave up on USB music, because reformatting is necessary to prevent (or often fix) failure. The other reason was that the support for USB music seemed to really suck on the UI side.

• Informative