Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam doesn’t alert when it isn’t working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This behavior seems to be tied to rebooting the CID/ICE. Dashcam was working and the moment I rebooted the ICE, the dashcam stopped working and required reformatting thru the GUI.

It seems there is a bug in this software that causes the ICE to crash every few days so that could explain the behavior I’m experiencing.
I haven't rebooted the ICE in a long time, but still having problems. Does the ICE fix itself after crashing?

I've also noticed "walk-away auto door locking" is unreliable in 2022.12.3.x.
I've noticed it has been taking longer lately to lock, but it seems to lock reliably, except possibly once... A few days ago, in my garage, I noticed that the app showed it was unlocked (fortunately, not an issue in the garage). My son had driven it the night before, so at first I thought maybe he left his cell phone in the car. I went out (without my phone), and opened the passenger door, then closed it. It locked automatically after that. But if the door had been partly open, it would have made all sorts of beeps, and he claims he did not open the passenger door after getting home.

This is a workaround for the lack of a dashcam notification.

I moved the dashcam icon (not sentry) down to the bottom toolbar so it is visible. If the dashcam has a problem, there will be a small red 'X' where there is usually a small red dot. If you can remember to notice this regularly, you can fix it by reformatting the drive. I use in-car formatting, and it only takes a second or two. One time recently, I had to remove the drive and retry a few times before it finally worked, but I think that's something with a recent bug. Since then, it has been crashing every few days, but I'm able to reformat without removing the drive.

Please do not suggest I get a new drive. And if you suggest I use the official Tesla-branded thumbdrive, I will immediately add you to my ignore list.

Elon just addressed this on Twitter about 1 hour ago...

dashcam.png

Reactions: apacheguy
Elon just addressed this on Twitter about 1 hour ago...

View attachment 809816
Nice to see some details. But for those of us geeks, if the error messages in the car pass through some of the system error messages from Linux, some of us can help diagnose these problems (as we would be quite familiar with things like mount errors), although I suppose their engineers have access to that in logs.

There should be an auto recover function whereby the dashcam automatically reformats the drive if the mount fails. I’ve gotten in the habit of checking if the dashcam is working every time I drive the car, but sometimes I forget and only later realize the dashcam wasn’t working the whole time.