TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dashcam doesn't work due to DAS 2.0?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scrumpto, Aug 8, 2019.

1. scrumpto

scrumpto New Member

Short Version TLDR
    My Tesla has the dashcam equipment but Tesla says it won't work with DAS 2.0.

Questions:
    1. Is this true (and how do I check)?
    2. Is there a way to fix this, get it upgraded, etc?

Full Version
    I have a December 2016 Model S 75D (was a 60D) and have been trying to get the dashcam feature to work. Sentry Mode seems to work but nothing I do gives me the Dashcam icon.

I went into the dealership and they told me (without looking at the car) that I don't have the cameras. So I went to the parking lot and took photos and showed them and one of the guys explained that indeed the late 2016 models did receive the equipment. When I contacted Tesla as to why I couldn't get the feature to work they told me they'd send out a tech to check it out. I just received a text from Tesla saying they'd canceled the appointment as Dashcam isn't supported on our car as we have DAS 2.0. I had to ask what hat was and he explained and said it only works with version 2.5 and 3.0.

So I have dumb cameras?

Can anyone help explain this situation and why I "might" be able to do about it?

2. SO16

SO16 Active Member

#2 SO16, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    I have HW 2.0 as well.

Sentry can turn on and “see” people. But it doesn’t record.

Dashcam doesn’t exist for ours either.

Our cameras are not full color cameras. Just grey and red. Color cameras came out with HW 2.5.

It is what it is. Maybe someday that will change for us but I’m not counting on it.

I was surprised I even got partial Sentry mode.
    Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

“Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.”

I purchased regular dash cams when I first received my Jan 2017 built Tesla. Before Sentry and Tesla cam even existed. I still use my dashcams.

3. croman

croman Active Member

HW2 was never given the binaries for recording. It doesn't have a redundant processor so Tesla never could get dashcam to work alongside AP. Initially they did but they never gave us the ability. Sentry would be easy AP is off while it's parked but still no dice.

4. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Your car has AP 2.0 hardware. It doesn't support the dash cam. There is nothing that you can do other than buy a newer car.