Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam Drive Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Has anyone found a way to make the USB drive for DashCam concealed, like some of the aftermarket solutions for Model 3? I was thinking of getting an SSD drive and routing the cable under the center console and somehow fastening the drive there through double sided tape. Thanks.

No fears of that. It’s more that I put stuff in that area and sometimes unplug the stick inadvertently as I do.
Ah, ok. In my X, I have been able to insert one of those really stubby USB SSDs (doesn't stick out) into one of the two USB ports behind the center console that faces the back seats. It works just as well there in my car and doesn't hog up one of the front USB. Mine is a 2016, so I am not sure if that was carried forward to newer MX cars or not.

Ah, ok. In my X, I have been able to insert one of those really stubby USB SSDs (doesn't stick out) into one of the two USB ports behind the center console that faces the back seats. It works just as well there in my car and doesn't hog up one of the front USB. Mine is a 2016, so I am not sure if that was carried forward to newer MX cars or not.

Good idea but in my case, it risks getting pulled by the kids to plug a device and then magically disappear. ;/)

Hi Steilkurve,

Try a Roadie.... tryroadie.com
I have had one since February and they work...
The "Large" size is 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3"
It is built on a Raspberry Pi.
It has an integrated file system now formatted ext4 if you wish...
It keeps many hours of film.

It will fit nicely underneath the compartment that holds your phone
on the charger.
I have not put mine there yet but there is plenty of room.
You just need to "fish" the wire through the opening to the USB.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran
Hi Steilkurve,

Try a Roadie.... tryroadie.com
I have had one since February and they work...
The "Large" size is 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3"
It is built on a Raspberry Pi.
It has an integrated file system now formatted ext4 if you wish...
It keeps many hours of film.

It will fit nicely underneath the compartment that holds your phone
on the charger.
I have not put mine there yet but there is plenty of room.
You just need to "fish" the wire through the opening to the USB.

Good luck,

Shawn

This thing sounds awesome!! I wish I had known about this earlier. Looks like they really should work on their marketing and get the word out.

I just spoke with their support and found that the product only works with MCU2. And also it says doesnt work with any ModelX made prior to Dec 2018 although I'm unsure if that is specifically due to MCU2 or not.

Last edited:
Hey all. Has anyone found a way to make the USB drive for DashCam concealed, like some of the aftermarket solutions for Model 3? I was thinking of getting an SSD drive and routing the cable under the center console and somehow fastening the drive there through double sided tape. Thanks.

No one really addressed your "hide" the drive question, but, it has been addressed before:
Hide SSD in New Model X

You can route a cable through the bottom of the center console area and out the front, underneath the display... Some have actually routed it through into the glove box (which you be locked in valet mode)...