Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Dummies Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a guide in when the dad am records?

I’ve looked at the manual and I’m still unclear.

I know if I press the horn it saves it, and I right in saying all sentry mode activations are recorded permanently until I go into the viewer and delete it?

Also with the dashcam does it recorded continuously as I looked for my last journey Ansh nothing was recorded?

Any advice? Anyone got a summary?

What TeslaCam records and what it saves are two completely different things.

If TeslaCam (dashcam or sentry) is turned on, it records everything. What each saves is dependent on what feature of TeslaCam is in operation at point of save and user/vehicle action. There will be an overlap as dashcam transitions to sentry and vice versa, so a saved clip may contain both sentry and dashcam footage.

Dashcam:
  • Keeps a rolling 60 minute loop, where 61st minute is 'deleted' every minute. This 60 minute rolling loop will also get overwritten if car is in standby (at least it was), so drives captured within this 60 minute segment but older than 60 minutes may be overwritten. So if your drive is longer than 60 minutes you will not get the whole drive and if you don't save within 10 minutes of an event, you will lose the ability to save without removing the media - and only the last 60 minutes.
  • Saves a 10 minute clip when you press save, honk the horn (if enabled) or car has an 'incident', latest firmware and again, feature must be enabled
  • The 10 minute saved clip is never overwritten - it needs to be manually deleted (or media reformatted) to recover the space.
  • Saved event is time and location stamped - to allow it to be located on in car viewer

Sentry:
  • Keeps a rolling loop at least 10 minutes long.
  • If sentry event occurs, last 10 minutes are saved, hopefully... (sentry events not saving a video clip is not unusual)
  • Saved event is time and location stamped - to allow it to be located on in car viewer
  • Old sentry event clips are automatically overwritten
  • If an alarm goes off, clip is saved on internal MCU memory - so media drive being nicked will not destroy evidence. I think an option comes up to allow user to copy to recoverable media.
I think its basically that. You get a better understanding by looking at the media on a PC etc. Being able to view footage in-car is a relatively new feature and still work in progress. If you want the full picture, look at the media.

tl;dr - TeslaCam is not a dashcam. To retain a clip, a specific event or user input is required otherwise it will potentially be lost after 60 minutes. Within reason, size of removerable media has little impact on how much pertinent video is saved - larger media will just store more stale clips or allow you to be away from the car with sentry active for more days/weeks.

Everything caveated by 'if its working properly' and this is MCU2 behaviour.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a guide in when the dad am records?

I’ve looked at the manual and I’m still unclear.

I know if I press the horn it saves it...
Honk or press on the camera icon to save
Also with the dashcam does it recorded continuously as I looked for my last journey Ansh nothing was recorded?
Was the camera icon lit up with a red dot to indicate "on"? Also, you can try press on the camera icon to "save" from time to time.

So no wireless way of viewing/downloading it to send to the dangerous driver police sites then. Iirc, to remove it don’t you have to switch it off first to prevent corruption?
No wireless method. Advised to hold button down ... wait ... before removing the drive.