Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Dashcam failure when needed!

This afternoon, I was on the sharp end of some halfwit's incredibly dangerous driving (I was overtaking two lorries on a dual carriageway, driving at the speed limit, and he undertook me and squeezed, and I mean squeezed, between the lorries and me to get in front). I sounded the horn and then watched as he braked hard to stop at a roundabout, couldn't manage it and pulled out in front of another vehicle, narrowly avoiding another accident. Back at home I went to inspect the dashcam footage, only to find that it had recorded nothing! I'm using a Samsung FIT Plus, 128GB USB drive. Normally it records fine, though I do see occasional alerts saying that it is too slow. At the time I bought it, back in September last year, I think it was one of the devices recommended by Tesla.

I hasten to add, by the way, that "Save clip on honk" is enabled of course, and it has worked fine before. Do you think drive write speed is an issue?

boogle

Aug 22, 2020
UK
I've got a Samsung SSD in mine, and it still occasionally fails to work right. I also hit a deer on the motorway and the impact was between 2 separate files so while it did record, the most important bit was missing. Fortunately there was enough footage to show how some damage occurred on the side of the car that the insurer didn't fancy covering. Also top tip, the camera can see deer in the dark before you can, but Autopilot doesn't care.

I think if you want something reliable you need to get a proper dashcam and use the Tesla one as a 'nice to have' should it be working at the time.

Reactions: VanillaAir_UK
That’s the one thing I don’t like about the cameras. When you honk it only saves when you honk and the 10 mins prior. While it is saving the camera stops recording for a while. This means you miss anything that happens immediately after the honk. I’ve decided to turn off the record on honk and save the footage manually so I capture before and after. Other proper dashcams can save the footage before and after as standard if you press the save button.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
The amount of writes that take place on a Tesla dash cam means that even endurance media could wear out in a year or so. At a min you need to reformat periodically to avoid the slowdown. I would recommend replacing with one of the new SanDisk Max Endurance SD cards. The bigger the better. Based on the specs that should last many years

Reactions: btc1k
That’s the one thing I don’t like about the cameras. When you honk it only saves when you honk and the 10 mins prior. While it is saving the camera stops recording for a while. This means you miss anything that happens immediately after the honk.
hmmm, I haven't noticed that. I am going to try it, but take your word for it. If that is happening then it would be good for Tesla to make a simple software change to wait several seconds after honking the horn to save the video.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I hit the horn after someone overtook me in a 20mph just before a blind bend, narrowly missing a van coming the other way.

When I rewatched the footage (in car) there was actually a jump in it at the point of the overtake. You could still see what happened, but didn’t look continuous anymore.

Was going to report the guy to Operation Snap but decided it probably wasn’t serious enough (the van didn’t have to take obvious corrective action), certainly not as bad as what the OP describes.

(I’m using a Samsung T5 SSD, never had any issues with slowness warnings or disconnections)

The dashcam function needs a re-work. It shouldn't be reliant on the state of mind of the driver after an accident to remember to honk the horn, press the icon or remove the drive to save the info

I did think of putting a proper dashcam in my M3, but I remember reading it can have adverse effects on the 12vbattery or main battery as the signals that tell the cam to go to sleep arent sent due to power always being on. Dunno how true that is though

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Hw long have you guys had these devices? you may be starting to suffer degradation. The use case of continuously writing video to Flash memory is an extreme one. My original plan for reliability was to use Sandisk Endurance SD cards and replace once a year pre-emptively. Once the Max Endurance came out I switched to that so hope it will now outlast my ownership of the car.

Hw long have you guys had these devices? you may be starting to suffer degradation. The use case of continuously writing video to Flash memory is an extreme one. My original plan for reliability was to use Sandisk Endurance SD cards and replace once a year pre-emptively. Once the Max Endurance came out I switched to that so hope it will now outlast my ownership of the car.
Do you think the above would last longer than a USB SSD?

Do you think the above would last longer than a USB SSD?

I suspect by stated warranty periods that its likely to be the same/similar memory technology.

I recon by our usage pattern, we are going to get around 4 years out of each of our (original) Endurance cards (we have 2 that were rotated in old days of no on board viewer), but the Max Endurance cards would mean that a single card should easily cover the lifespan of the car and they are the same price point that the original Endurance cards were.

I hit the horn after someone overtook me in a 20mph just before a blind bend, narrowly missing a van coming the other way.

When I rewatched the footage (in car) there was actually a jump in it at the point of the overtake. You could still see what happened, but didn’t look continuous anymore.

Was going to report the guy to Operation Snap but decided it probably wasn’t serious enough (the van didn’t have to take obvious corrective action), certainly not as bad as what the OP describes.

(I’m using a Samsung T5 SSD, never had any issues with slowness warnings or disconnections)
That’s what happens with my honks too. It jumps. It’s because it records the 10 mins prior and stops recording at the exact point of the honk, which is silly because that’s what footage you need the most. I’ve turned off honk recording now and intend to record stuff manually a few minutes after it has happened if it’s worth doing so. I just wish it was easier to press the camera while recording to save footage. I keep pressing the profiles instead because it seems a very small area.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrklaw and Durzel

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Mmm, I think the honk really just copies the footage from a temporary location to the USB folder. I dont think it affects where one file ends and the next starts, that cycle is already in play. I.E nothing you can do about it. Best thing is to wait 10 mins so the block has finished recording (but not over- written) and then pull the USB stick. I could be wrong, I have been before.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC