Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Feature Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this article the cameras can record in color and high-definition. We'll see how Tesla implements it. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Here’s what Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 can see with its 8 cameras

Well if you're using the word "color" in its singular form, that's probably right.. It's several channels of grayscale and one channel of red. For the most part, you can map this onto a slightly oddly colored human colorspace. For the purpose of a dashcam, it'll do just fine. Just don't expect any award-winning Dolby Vision cinematography….

Hmm... I'm not on Twitter.... Someone send out a tweet requesting a HUD, FOB, and Heated Steering Wheel.

I'm not on Twitter either, but I clicked on the link in the first post and read the web page that showed Elon's tweet in reply to a feature request. You can view public tweets with a regular web browser without having an account on Twitter.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Hopefully a 360 Dashcam without a monthly fee. I'm not sure this would replace a Blackvue.

Dashcam.PNG

I hope the feed will be colored on the 3. It doesn't seem to be on the S/X:

Also what is the FPS?

Can the feed be accesses with the mobile app? Where is the footage stored? Can the parking sensors remain active in park mode to detect if someone comes too close or if something hits the car?

Yes this would completely replace a Blackvue camera setup. Cleaner as well. We would just have to figure out how you get access to video to upload to Youtube. Nest cameras for example require a yearly fee for each camera to store up to 30 days of recordings. I could see this being a recurring fee. Hello Tesla needs as many revenue streams as possible.

Well if you're using the word "color" in its singular form, that's probably right.. It's several channels of grayscale and one channel of red. For the most part, you can map this onto a slightly oddly colored human colorspace. For the purpose of a dashcam, it'll do just fine. Just don't expect any award-winning Dolby Vision cinematography….
Do you have additional technical details on the camera hardware that Tesla uses? Cause this seems to directly contradict the linked article.

Yes this would completely replace a Blackvue camera setup. Cleaner as well. We would just have to figure out how you get access to video to upload to Youtube. Nest cameras for example require a yearly fee for each camera to store up to 30 days of recordings. I could see this being a recurring fee. Hello Tesla needs as many revenue streams as possible.

Each one of my Nest Cam's use 250GB of upload bandwidth per month. Tesla can't do that on LTE or else it will be ridiculously expensive