Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Flash Drive Repeatedly Disconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I fixed. Got a high endurance SD card. Works perfectly.
Can you link the card you got? I have a 21 Model Y with the same issue as everyone else here, the usb drive that came with the car just won’t stay connected. I bought used about a month ago but am still waiting for the paperwork so I can claim ownership. Would love to solve this without ticketing and going through all that mess!

I'm having the same issue in my brand-new M3, I got an ultra-fast 1TB USB stick, but the connectivity keeps dropping-out whenever the car tries to record a sentry event. Weirdly, the included Tesla USB drive seems to have no problems, but 128GB isn't big enough for my use. I also got a SanDisk high-performance 1TB MicroSD, and USB 3.0 reader, so I'll try using that and see what happens.

I'm having the same issue in my brand-new M3, I got an ultra-fast 1TB USB stick, but the connectivity keeps dropping-out whenever the car tries to record a sentry event. Weirdly, the included Tesla USB drive seems to have no problems, but 128GB isn't big enough for my use. I also got a SanDisk high-performance 1TB MicroSD, and USB 3.0 reader, so I'll try using that and see what happens.
Tried the MicroSD with high-speed USB adapter, but it gave a notification to "Remove and re-insert USB drive for faster speed". I did exactly as it said, but it just gave the same message again. I left it alone to see if it would still work, but it didn't even try to record any sentry events. I tried using it through a USB hub, and it didn't give the notification message anymore, but also still wouldn't record sentry events.

I eventually swapped back to the original Tesla USB drive provided, but now that isn't working either, having the same disconnection problems as my bigger & faster USB drive originally tried.

I'm at a loss of what to try now, so I'll probably need to schedule a service appointment.

Tried the MicroSD with high-speed USB adapter, but it gave a notification to "Remove and re-insert USB drive for faster speed". I did exactly as it said, but it just gave the same message again. I left it alone to see if it would still work, but it didn't even try to record any sentry events. I tried using it through a USB hub, and it didn't give the notification message anymore, but also still wouldn't record sentry events.

I eventually swapped back to the original Tesla USB drive provided, but now that isn't working either, having the same disconnection problems as my bigger & faster USB drive originally tried.

I'm at a loss of what to try now, so I'll probably need to schedule a service appointment.
UPDATE: Tesla Service advised that this is a known issue, and they are working on a firmware update to fix it. Related, Elon also tweeted about the problem, saying a firmware fix will be coming "soon™".

Reactions: Adam K

These are built for dash cams. USB’s are not.

Tesla should really switch.
I ended up getting that SD card the other day and everything has been perfect since. Not a single drop since setup. Thanks for the recommendation!