Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmmm.. a $4000 dashcam. :)

I, too, have a March 2017 Model S with AP 2.0. I've been using a four-channel Blackvue 750-based dashcam setup, but would be happy to have a "native" dashcam system that used the vehicle's cameras. @JohnnyG makes some important points about the cameras in an AP 2.0 car. However, I wonder if another development plays into this issue as well.

Another thread on the forum, which I can not locate at the moment, pointed to a recent
Electrek article, which states that a newly developed Tesla processing board, part of a "hardware 3" suite, will be required for full self driving (FSD), and that current owners who paid for FSD will receive a (free) hardware upgrade. I'm wondering how much of a role the processors play in supporting the dashcam, and if a camera upgrade might be part of the "hardware 3" upgrade. There will be skepticism about if and when such an upgrade will occur, but if it does come to pass, owners of AP 2.0 cars who purchased FSD at the time of their order could possibly get dashcam capability -- @JohnnyG and others may have insights/facts relating to this conjecture on my part.

Does it matter what the USB drive name is as long as there is a root level folder named "TeslaCam" ?

My dashcam was displaying a red light then, later the red light seems to stop displaying. Yes . buggy. Anyway, both my USB drive and roo folder was name TeslaCam so I change the name on the USB drive to test out since there was a number of exe files at root level after a day of driving along with the TeslaCam folder. Anyway, after renaming the USB drive name and erasing the the mpg and ex files, I don't seem to be getting the red dot indicating recording anymore.

Plan to test and play with it a bit more tomrorow, ..... but def BUGGY!!

Can you run a CHKDSK on the drive? I've had the car corrupt the drive twice since V9 rolled out. I think it sometimes shuts down in the middle of recording or saving. Correct the errors on the drive and you should be back in business.