Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason my dashcam is recording approximately 1 minute seperate files. It's a 16gig drive, Mac formatted (MS-DOS FAT 32). I thought the files were supposed to be 10 minutes in length.

Nope, they are supposed to be 1 min each. When you press the icon to save, it will change 10 of those files into "saved_timestamp" instead of "recent_timestamp" so the 60 minute (60 files) buffer won't erase them.

I have an AP1 car so this new feature doesn’t apply to me, but here’s my $0.015-worth. :)

While this is a great new feature that’s been unlocked, if I had an AP2.5 car, I’d prob still keep my Blackvue for the sole fact that it’s always on/recording. Having to remember to hit record right now means it’s not a set-it-and-forget-it type thing and I may miss having critical footage that “one time” I forgot. Hopefully subsequent updates allow you to have it record by default and keep overwriting files as your jump drive fills up.

While this is a great new feature that’s been unlocked, if I had an AP2.5 car, I’d prob still keep my Blackvue for the sole fact that it’s always on/recording. Having to remember to hit record right now means it’s not a set-it-and-forget-it type thing and I may miss having critical footage that “one time” I forgot. Hopefully subsequent updates allow you to have it record by default and keep overwriting files as your jump drive fills up.

Well it is always recording...just that the buffer is only 1 hour. If you have an incident, you just have to remember to tap the "save last 10 min" icon so it won't get erased. Or if you think you could off load the clip within 1 hour of driving after the incident, than you could just copy the "buffered" files out... don't even have to hit to save.

But if you missed it by days.. like hey I remember seeing that "orange" car a few days ago..... and at the time you didn't hit save, then you are out of luck.

Reactions: Doanster1
Well it is always recording...just that the buffer is only 1 hour. If you have an incident, you just have to remember to tap the "save last 10 min" icon so it won't get erased. Or if you think you could off load the clip within 1 hour of driving after the incident, than you could just copy the "buffered" files out... don't even have to hit to save.

But if you missed it by days.. like hey I remember seeing that "orange" car a few days ago..... and at the time you didn't hit save, then you are out of luck.
Thanks. You are correct/I stand corrected. Re-read the release notes. You have to long-press the icon to stop recording.
Last thing to add would be parked event camera triggering to cover for parking lot accidents or acts of vandalism.

Thanks. You are correct/I stand corrected. Re-read the release notes. You have to long-press the icon to stop recording.
Last thing to add would be parked event camera triggering to cover for parking lot accidents or acts of vandalism.

I think I saw a recent Elon's post that it is coming. But it is in case of an incident to the car.. it will start recording. Not sure what would that be... like a car rams into yours? Or someone breaks the windows?

It's also important to note that I posted the initial video because it was taken at night, which I thought would be useful to see so early on! Thank you everyone for your discussion.

I finally received my version 9.0 update this morning (5 days after launch), but I am still upset that my AP2 car from Apr2017 doesn't support the dashcam feature. I, too, would be curious to know what the hardware limitation was for this.

Couple things I noticed using DashCam:

FIRST TRY (COOL):
First time I tried, it worked great. Used an old 1GB drive laying around the house. Unfortunately it ran out of space and recording stopped. However it recorded as much as possible until stopping. Did not loop because there was less than 1 hr. space.

SECOND TRY (UH OH):
Found a 2GB flash drive lying around house. Added TeslaCam folder and plugged in. DashCam icon (on screen) came on and I drove around (work and back).

Got home, plugged in USB to PC and there were zero recordings. The .cache folder was created in the root of the USB stick but there were zero recordings in the TeslaCam folder. I drove 32 miles to work each way in stop/go traffic. Easily should have looped 1 hour of recordings with 2+ hours total driving time.

THIRD TRY (REALLY?!)
Plugged in my new SanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 ($9.00) flash drive (arrived today Amazon) to test again. DashCam icon turned on and the little light on the USB lit for a second or two and then turned off (and stayed off). Turned on the car and let it run for a few minutes. Pulled it out, no recordings. WAT?

FOURTH TRY (WHEW)
Rebooted the car and THEN noticed the DashCam icon AND the LED on the USB had intermittent flashing. Flashing pattern was similar to the pattern computers make when writing to hard drives and flash drives. Pulled out the USB, plugged in computer and I had 3 minutes of recordings.

Bottom line, make sure your USB Flash Drive light is blinking or you may not be recording anything. Makes sense right? Reboot fixes.

ALSO NOTICED:
DashCam continues recording after leaving the car. I tested this and confirmed. I don't know how long it will continue recording for but I could see it still recording after I locked the car and plugged in my car in to charge. Maybe this will continue until the car goes into deep sleep. Connecting to car via mobile app could reactivate after deep sleep shut off but I have not tested.

Also noticed that if you pull out the flash drive from Tesla USB without stopping the recording (long press on DashCam icon) you could ruin / corrupt the last minute of recording. I could play all recordings EXCEPT the interrupted one.

FIRST TRY (COOL):
First time I tried, it worked great. Used an old 1GB drive laying around the house. Unfortunately it ran out of space and recording stopped. However it recorded as much as possible until stopping. Did not loop because there was less than 1 hr. space.

SECOND TRY (UH OH):
Found a 2GB flash drive lying around house. Added TeslaCam folder and plugged in. DashCam icon (on screen) came on and I drove around (work and back).

Got home, plugged in USB to PC and there were zero recordings. The .cache folder was created in the root of the USB stick but there were zero recordings in the TeslaCam folder. I drove 32 miles to work each way in stop/go traffic. Easily should have looped 1 hour of recordings with 2+ hours total driving time.

THIRD TRY (REALLY?!)
Plugged in my new SanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 ($9.00) flash drive (arrived today Amazon) to test again. DashCam icon turned on and the little light on the USB lit for a second or two and then turned off (and stayed off). Turned on the car and let it run for a few minutes. Pulled it out, no recordings. WAT?

FOURTH TRY (WHEW)
Rebooted the car and THEN noticed the DashCam icon AND the LED on the USB had intermittent flashing. Flashing pattern was similar to the pattern computers make when writing to hard drives and flash drives. Pulled out the USB, plugged in computer and I had 3 minutes of recordings.

Bottom line, make sure your USB Flash Drive light is blinking or you may not be recording anything. Makes sense right? Reboot fixes.

ALSO NOTICED:
DashCam continues recording after leaving the car. I tested this and confirmed. I don't know how long it will continue recording for but I could see it still recording after I locked the car and plugged in my car in to charge. Maybe this will continue until the car goes into deep sleep. Connecting to car via app could reactivate but have not tested.

Also noticed that if you pull out the flash drive from Tesla USB without stopping the recording (long press on DashCam icon) you could ruin / corrupt the last minute of recording. I could play all recordings EXCEPT the interrupted one.

Very similar things with my fiddling. Noticed a could get recording going after I pulled out the drive and stuck it back in, then had the icon pop up again. So stay persistent.

FIRST TRY (COOL):

SECOND TRY (UH OH):

THIRD TRY (REALLY?!)

FOURTH TRY (WHEW)

ALSO NOTICED:
DashCam continues recording after leaving the car. I tested this and confirmed. I don't know how long it will continue recording for but I could see it still recording after I locked the car and plugged in my car in to charge. Maybe this will continue until the car goes into deep sleep. Connecting to car via mobile app could reactivate after deep sleep shut off but I have not tested.

I also notice inconsistent recordings on my X. When I pull out the USB to review the files, it seems like it is not recording properly. I saw this a couple times now where I would drive a bit, park, then drive home. Some recordings for the first part of the drive are there, but there was nothing on the drive home. Not even an hours worth of footage. The files that are on the drive are hours old too and the icon showed as recording the whole time. A reboot does get the recordings started again though, until it happens again. Very weird. I can't seem to get it to pause recording either with a long press.

I also notice inconsistent recordings on my X. When I pull out the USB to review the files, it seems like it is not recording properly. I saw this a couple times now where I would drive a bit, park, then drive home. Some recordings for the first part of the drive are there, but there was nothing on the drive home. Not even an hours worth of footage. The files that are on the drive are hours old too and the icon showed as recording the whole time. A reboot does get the recordings started again though, until it happens again. Very weird. I can't seem to get it to pause recording either with a long press.

I got that sometime too. I think if you leave the drive in the slot after you parked, it still record until the car goes into some kind of sleep mode, but that's not really what cause the camera to stop. I think the camera stopped because the USB port lost power when the car goes into sleep mode. So it is like in the middle of writing a file, you unplug the USB stick and corrupted some files (cache or whatever).

@tllt @Need Today I drove to work and checked the USB and I had the full drive to work recorded. I was also able to long press and turn off recording today. Yesterday however, I did notice that when I was first having trouble, the long press (turn off) wasn't working for me either.

For now, I'm okay with this as it's new and I'm super happy Tesla is developing features like this. I can't wait until they expand the coverage to all cams and are able to record while parked and upload to mobile. That said, I'm one side mirror / lane splitting motorcycle hit away from losing confidence if I pull out the USB and find no footage.