Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a drive yesterday to Half Moon Bay (from east bay area) with version 9. I grabbed a 1GB USB stick laying around the house. I knew it wouldn't be big enough to capture the entire drive but I wanted to test the feature out. Formatted with Fat32 and put the TeslaCam folder in root.

Dash Cam triggered right away and started recording. I noticed about 3/4 of the way through the trip that there was an X on the Dash Cam icon. In essence, the USB stick ran out of space. The Dash Cam will not loop if it runs out of space before capturing enough footage for 1 hour of recording. I don't have any large USB sticks but I'm going to try an old 2GB today to see how it works.

I imagine that with future updates announced by Tesla & Electrek today Tesla to improve its new dashcam feature with more Autopilot cameras and parking mode that larger USB sticks / drives will be needed in the future. I'll buy one with a smaller profile than the ones I have today. Many of the older 1 & 2GB ones I had lying around the house are too large to allow the console door to close properly and are just too small.

Great update Tesla. Keep 'em coming!

I hadn't been in the market for a 'small form factor' USB Flash Drive in 'forever'. Now that I did a search, it's amazing what you can get for cheap. This will work perfectly for the DashCam. Just realize that you cannot (today) use the USB for both Dash Cam AND music.

Fastest 1-Click Purchase Amazon order I've ever placed.

32GB, small form factor USB Flash Drive. https://goo.gl/SWjpKv

Only $9 bucks!

EDIT: Earlier I posted a 64GB link but remembered that 64GB isn't supported by FAT32 so I changed to the 32GB version and changed my order.

Last edited:
I have the AP2.5 hardware and will shortly get dash cam running. But does anyone know for certain why the restriction for no AP2.0 cars? Is it processor speed ability is not capable on 2.0? Just makes me wonder if 2.5 is just enough powerful and maybe detracts from other functions it’s performing.
I’m not an engineer just wondering if it affects performance in other areas?

I took a drive yesterday to Half Moon Bay (from east bay area) with version 9. I grabbed a 1GB USB stick laying around the house. I knew it wouldn't be big enough to capture the entire drive but I wanted to test the feature out. Formatted with Fat32 and put the TeslaCam folder in root.

Dash Cam triggered right away and started recording. I noticed about 3/4 of the way through the trip that there was an X on the Dash Cam icon. In essence, the USB stick ran out of space. The Dash Cam will not loop if it runs out of space before capturing enough footage for 1 hour of recording. I don't have any large USB sticks but I'm going to try an old 2GB today to see how it works.

I imagine that with future updates announced by Tesla & Electrek today Tesla to improve its new dashcam feature with more Autopilot cameras and parking mode that larger USB sticks / drives will be needed in the future. I'll buy one with a smaller profile than the ones I have today. Many of the older 1 & 2GB ones I had lying around the house are too large to allow the console door to close properly and are just too small.

Great update Tesla. Keep 'em coming!
I highly recommend a Portable SSD drive. They work flawlessly, as long as you reformat them to FAT32. I bought a Samsung T5 500gb through Gogle Express for $89 with free shipping

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
You can format a driver larger than 32gb to fat32. I am using a 64gb drive for the dash cam at the moment. You have to use third party software on windows, or if you have a Mac, you can do it a bit easier with the built in Disk Utility.

I highly recommend a Portable SSD drive. They work flawlessly, as long as you reformat them to FAT32. I bought a Samsung T5 500gb through Gogle Express for $89 with free shipping
Can you explain further why you recommend this? I dropped back from the 64GB flash drive because of the Fat32 limit. I know there are workarounds but didn't want to bother with that. A portable ssd is...honestly not very portable for the intended purpose and wonder why you 'highly' recommend this at $89 vs. $9. Thanks in advance.

I may be incorrect, but I've read the video loops after one hour is recorded, and that an hour uses about 1.8GB. Seems all that is needed is a 4GB (2GB would even work) and anything larger would be wasted space. Remember you can't use it for music files, since the dashcam needs it's own USB stick.

I may be incorrect, but I've read the video loops after one hour is recorded, and that an hour uses about 1.8GB. Seems all that is needed is a 4GB (2GB would even work) and anything larger would be wasted space. Remember you can't use it for music files, since the dashcam needs it's own USB stick.

I think I read that if you partition the USB stick into 2 drives, you could host music in one partition and use the other partition with the TeslaCam folder for the Dashcam. But other than using it for music, there is really no reason to need a bigger driver than 16 or 32GB.. as you said the loop took only 1.8G.. the rest is just for saved clips which is about 300MB for every 10 min of clips.

For example, if you have a 16GB usb drive, it should have a little over 14GB usable space. Take away 2GB of loop buffer, you are left with 12GB. At 1.8GB per hour, you have to press to save every 10 minutes, and you could go on a 6 and a half hour drive before you need to off load the clips. A 32GB will give you about 13 hours drive before off loading.

Plus it saves a 10 minute clip every time you press the dash cam button. That's 0.3 GB each time. If you don't use that sort of feature, it's probably a non-issue. IMO, 32 GB is more than adequate for the current version of TeslaCam... perhaps things will change when they add more functionality and more cameras.