Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam for AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
After my wife got into an accident which totaled her Volvo, I’m looking into dashcams for all our cars. I have a 2016 Model S but I have tinted windshield, so I’m wonder what others of you have done mounting a dashcam without touching the windshield. I’m basically just looking to do something simple which plugs into my cig adapter and not a custom install that requires removal of any trim pieces. Any recommendations on a reasonable $100 to $300 dashcam and mounting location would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,
After my wife got into an accident which totaled her Volvo, I’m looking into dashcams for all our cars. I have a 2016 Model S but I have tinted windshield, so I’m wonder what others of you have done mounting a dashcam without touching the windshield. I’m basically just looking to do something simple which plugs into my cig adapter and not a custom install that requires removal of any trim pieces. Any recommendations on a reasonable $100 to $300 dashcam and mounting location would be greatly appreciated!
Since it is illegal to tint your windshield below 4" from the top in California, can't you just mount it below that?;)

You are going to want to mount it behind (in front of) the rear view mirror; if there is tint all the way to the top just cut out the small rectangular area where the camera will adhere to the windshield. How about a cloud capable refurbished Blackvue DR750 2 channel for $240 US? (not sure about shipping for you).

I just bought one last week; wouldn't know it wasn't new.

[REFURBISHED] BlackVue Refurbished Specials

Last edited:
had several dashcams in my cars over the years. The Blackvue is definitely one of the best you can get. I highly recommend it to anyone. It has saved me thousands already and protected me. No need to remove trim pieces. THere are several companies in LA and OC that install it.

I have the Anker Roav C1 Pro from Amazon. Bought it last year during the black friday sale for $70. Works just as good as my previous Blackvue for a fraction of the cost. Great customer support. My windshield is tinted too but I cut out a small section right behind my rear mirror to mount the camera. Took me about 10 mins to hide the wire and I connect it with cig lighter.

Reactions: David99