Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Help - How to Format Fa32 in Windows 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turns out that 64GB USB drives cannot be natively formatted as Fat32 in Windows 10, so I thought i'd give some tips as to how I did it.

1. Format the drive as NTFS via Windows
2. Macrorit has a free FAT32 converter on their website @ Free Download Partition Magic Manager Alternative Software - click on the FAT32 Converter tab, and download whatever edition you want to use.
3. Open the NTFS to FAT32 converter software, select your flash drive, and click Convert Now at the bottom right.
4. Create a TeslaCam folder in the root of the drive
5. Plug in to your AP2.5 Tesla and you should see what looks like a little camera at the top right of your screen!

Turns out that 64GB USB drives cannot be natively formatted as Fat32 in Windows 10, so I thought i'd give some tips as to how I did it.

2. Macrorit has a free FAT32 converter on their website @ Free Download Partition Magic Manager Alternative Software - click on the FAT32 Converter tab, and download whatever edition you want to use.
3. Open the NTFS to FAT32 converter software, select your flash drive, and click Convert Now at the bottom right.
5. Plug in to your AP2.5 Tesla and you should see what looks like a little camera at the top right of your screen!
I usually use this app. It's safe and fast, does its job.

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Reactions: .jg.
I almost dusted off my 486 for this... but thought I'd give it another go on a Win7-64 OS. (Windows 7 64 Bit machine).

Yesterday, I launched the SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe mentioned, formatted as FAT32, then created the TeslaCam directory as prescribed (in windows I think). The system worked but was automatically saving a series of 1-minute videos to the drive. The icon seemed to work as far as pause, download etc., but I didn't I asked it to download after my trips. The clips opened (mostly in Windows media viewer, but a couple were short the 32MB max size. Here's what it looked like, but when I deleted the files (and 4 new root directory files and cache?) it stopped working.
10-15-2018 10-24-18 AM.png

Starting over, today I reformatted again, same tool and noticed the Volume label on the tool said <default>, so I deleted that and ran the utility as normal. Then I went to "command prompt" for the DOS window, and entered the old "md H:\TeslaCam" (md means make directory) and now it seems to be up and running (icon OK on Tesla screen) just as before. I don't know if I'll still get the 1 min clips as before, just sharing in case anyone has gone this route or if they also saw all the separate clips in there.

Macrorit may be blocked by Windows Defender. Here's another legit FAT32 formatter:

MiniAide Fat32 Formatter