Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam icon cowardly hides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Dashcam was introduced, I've had our Model 3 (LR) recording on a USB flash drive, intermittently between a 16GB stick and a 32GB SDHC card in an adapter. A couple days ago we picked up our second (SR+). In advance I had bought two 128GB SanDisk CZ48s as I hear Sentry Mode can really eat space.

The thing is, since installing these I can't get Dashcam to work on either car. The new one hasn't shown the Dashcam icon. Even our LR now refuses to display the icon when a drive is plugged in, even with a drive it's recorded to in the past.

Both cars are running 2019.5.15 (f5def7e).

Can I please get a sanity check here? IS there a known issue in this release? Is there something I can do to "kick" the car into recognizing the drive?

Formatted sticks as ExFAT with a "TeslaCam" folder in root. On a hunch, I tried NTFS; same result. No icon under any circumstances.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 56
I just picked up our 3 and bought a large USB drive to set up for the DashCam. I used the software in that article to format the USB drive and installed the drive in the 3. It all seemed to work fine with that formatting software.

Thanks, Kermee! Windows 10 PowerShell cowardly refuses to format a 128GB stick:

Format-Volume : Size Not Supported

However, on a Mac, life is easier. Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility; select the drive in question; Erase it, specifying "FAT" as the filesystem and (optionally) specifying a volume name; then create a folder in the newly formatted drive named "TeslaCam". After a few seconds after inserting into Model 3 the helpful icon pops up.

Reactions: Kermee