TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dashcam Install by Calibred Customs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ckwong, Jun 22, 2017.

1. ckwong

ckwong Member

Johnny did it again. Another amazing install on the east coast today. I think he broke a record on the fastest install. Everything in about an hour. Very professional and definitely OEM look! Very cool guy,

• Like x 1
  2. number12

number12 Active Member

Wow. This thread with no pic is shocking.

• Funny x 2
  3. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

What was the cost for install?

• Like x 1
  4. ckwong

ckwong Member

Here are a few pics, all wires hidden.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  5. ckwong

ckwong Member

$400 and he goes to your house to do it.

• Like x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

$400 for install only?

• Like x 1
  7. ckwong

ckwong Member

Yes, I had the camera already.

8. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Sorry, but what kind of lube did he use for $400 for 1 hour of labor?

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

What method is used to power the cams?

10. martinicus

martinicus Member

Unnecessary

• Funny x 3
  11. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Perhaps un-necessary but steep in price.. Similar installation in Texas is ~150.

12. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

#12 rjdoc74, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Another plug in for Calibrated customs. Prior to Johnny, I hired a guy who advertised he could do it for $250 and had good Yelp reviews. He came to my house with professional tools and started install. In about an hour, he called me and said he is having trouble. He took off the center channel and had trouble putting it back on. Plus the wiring he had did not fit into the center channel at all. He offered to do the install and leave 2 huge wires wrapped with electrical tape hanging in the air coming from the front camera. That's not all. He also dropped a sharp knife onto my white perforated seat and caused a long superficial cut. Needless to say, I said to please immediately stop. I called Johnny who installed flawlessly in 1.5 hours, set up my cloud access, set up all the passwords and did a tutorial on how to use the cam and iphone app.

I know there are some handy guys who don't mind taking off panels, center channel, hard wire, etc. but I am not one of them. To me, $400 was well worth it to pay Johnny to do all this (he has done hundreds of MXs by the way) while I watched play offs. Just IMHO.

• Like x 1
  13. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Another tip: if you can, buy your camera at Costco (they carry it on their website). I know of a few cases where people got their cameras from Mass drop or similar website and had their cameras die very quickly. It's a hassle to go through warranty on something not made in the US. With Costco, you just bring it back to the store even many months later and get a new one :)

• Like x 2
  14. ckwong

ckwong Member

I would like to consider myself some what handy but when it comes to MX I would not even try to do the install myself or hire someone that charges $150-$250 who might not have any experience with MX. Johnny has done hundreds of installs on MXs and have amazing reviews from yelp and other members here on the forum who have used his services. He also drives to your house to do the install so that adds value to the cost.

• Like x 1
  15. ckwong

ckwong Member

He connected the power to the ODB-II port located on the drivers side just above the area around the dead pedal.

16. Ritium

Ritium New Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I used Calibred Customs. They did a great job.

17. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

It seams too difficult for me to install if I get it.

18. eHeyMan

eHeyMan Member

I had Johnny install my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH that I had purchased over a year ago. I thought of doing it myself and even bought some tools and connectors. I was concerned about breaking some trim panel tabs, and therefore put the job off. This summer I decided to get it done professionally. My friend and I had a Tesla get together last week in Seattle when Johnny was in town and he did three installations (two X's and one S). I would certainly recommend Johnny at Calibred Customs (Calibred Customs). He does an excellent job.
    JohnnyCalibredCustoms.jpg

• Like x 1
  19. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

Did he remove the center channel that the wires run through? Did he re-use it? What did he use to fish them through? Have done a few on the Model S but not on the X yet.