Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam install by Johnny at Calibred Customs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I am taking delivery of my Model X next week and I am looking forward to having Johnny come in 2 weeks to install a Thinkware F800 Pro as well as 2 cigarette sockets for me in the center console. Since I am not a fan of seeing all the wires in the armrest or glove compartment, my plan is to have 1 socket to be always hot for my hotspot and the other to only be on when the car is on for my Qi wireless charger.

Hopefully I will be able to take a lot of pictures to document the install.

Reactions: bugZPDX
I didn't get a chance to take any photos while Johnny was installing since I was stuck in meetings while he was installing the dash cam and sockets.

Everything came out really nice and everything was hidden. I would definitely recommend Johnny to anyone who wants a clean install.

Attachments

• 20180414_140636.jpg
    20180414_140636.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180414_140657.jpg
    20180414_140657.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20180414_140741.jpg
    20180414_140741.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 141
Nice work. I am still a little baffled that with all the cameras already preinstalled in our Tesla's, it should be just a flip of software to enable Dashcam-like features, perhaps the only thing missing would be sufficient amount of storage for the recording, but storage is cheap these days.

Reactions: FarmerDave
Since John is hardwiring it to a constant power source, i assume the camera will be always on to record 24/7 and will not enable parking mode?

I was thinking to have him installed the thinkware 800 pro too but now that the blackvue 4k just came out... i kind of changed my mind a little bit.

The camera is wired will go into parking mode shortly after car is turned off and goes into continuous mode whenever the car wakes up. Blackvue DR900 4k might be a little overboard but that is just my personal opinion. I believe there @EVTuning is offering a pre-order promo on the DR900 right now.

Since John is hardwiring it to a constant power source, i assume the camera will be always on to record 24/7 and will not enable parking mode?

I was thinking to have him installed the thinkware 800 pro too but now that the blackvue 4k just came out... i kind of changed my mind a little bit.

I’ve done the install myself and if I knew how involved it’d be I’d spend the money to have them professionally installed. The front was not even that difficult but running the cable to the rear was very intensive. I consider myself quite handy, but this thing is on a whole different level especially for someone who’s never worked with car trims before. Watching YouTube video guides and doing it myself is quite different.

@mattack4000 pretty sure he uses the existing channel.

It was a pain in the butt to put 2 wires in that channel. There was almost no space left in the first place. At least for the newer Xs the channel is snapped on and not glued.

He ran all the wires in the stock tunnel, it was a very tight fit but he made it work.

Yup I have done it as well. It’s double sided taped to the windshield. Once you get it off the glass and remove the old tape it has a slit cut in the channel so you just slide the new wires in. There is zero extra space afterwards. Then just put a new piece of black double sided taped and line it back up on the windshield. AP2 cars make this a ton easier.