Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the 3 doesn't have that like the S. It has this instead...not sure how you can open it.

View attachment 268088

While of course I don't know for sure, it does look like you could likely use a plastic or thin wood "spudger"to (carefully) pry the edge of that oval insert with the reading lights in it and pop it out in a similar way to popping out the "speaker grill" in the MS.

Whether there is a similar 12V hookup behind that oval insert or not...who knows.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
I got my 3 this weekend and found this port under the dashboard. Any idea what it could be? Or what kind of connector I could use??

Maybe it provides constant power for dashcam?

IMG_3650.JPG

Joe Torbati's OC Detailing installed our dashcam in our Model S. They're located close to the Fremont Factory. Since he's done a number of wraps already on Model 3's (posted early videos during the employee roll out phase--before they got taken down at one point) I wonder if he's installed any dashcam's yet in them. Hard to believe he hasn't--given alot of the new Model 3s are driving on 880 :eek: and other fun non-crowded freeways here. ;)

I ran my cable in the headliner to the right A pillar, then between the A-pillar and the door seal down and out of some trim panels. Then across the passenger floor under the floor mat and into the cigarette lighter for now.

Tried to get the map light assembly out but quit in fear of breaking it.

I found it difficult to find a good place to stick the camera while keeping it out of me eye sight while driving. I mounted it just under the windshield AP camera and tried to center the lens to the windshield.
I ran mine the same way as you did, without having seen your post. I think this is the most logical path until/unless someone finds a good hardwiring solution to the fuse panel (where is it?) or obd2 port (if it exists). Here are some pics: Model 3 Blackvue Install

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I ran mine the same way as you did, without having seen your post. I think this is the most logical path until/unless someone finds a good hardwiring solution to the fuse panel (where is it?) or obd2 port (if it exists). Here are some pics: Model 3 Blackvue Install
Wow, the camera itself is quite a bit bigger than I expected. That's definitely going to bother me a bit but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Any link for this connector?? I can't measure voltage without some sort of connector or else I will just short it out

I think you should be able to use a 5-pin motherboard header. Probably can pick up at a local Fry's Electronics or get it from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...=1514411752&sr=8-4&keywords=5+pin+motherboard

With that header, you should be able to cut the wires and more easily check the voltage with a volt meter. Hopefully you'll find something around 12V, but if I remember correctly, the Blackview dash cam can handle higher voltage (up to 24V?) so hopefully something will work out.

What is that piece in the last picture? Some sort of shelf for the center console? I dont have that... unless im blind as a bat.

@FunkyJunk,

No interference with rear defroster lines on rear cam mount? On another note..... I guess it blocks WAY too much of your view to mount the front cam at the bottom front of the rear view mirror housing....looks like that would just be extremely low...didn’t realize that housing drops down so much!

Ski

Last edited:
With the Blackvue if you want protection in parking mode with the PMP you need to find 2 power supply’s. One that’s powered with the car ‘on’ and one that’s powered with the car ‘off’. This will truly give you the best coverage when parked and away from the vehicle.

Here are some pics of mine. This is front cam only for now. The red line indicates where I tucked the wire behind paneling. I is ran from the center of the windshield up into the headliner to the passenger side A pillar behind it and down the door seal then out of some panels and under the passenger floor mat.
View attachment 269162 View attachment 269163 View attachment 269164 View attachment 269165 View attachment 269166 View attachment 269167 View attachment 269168

@silentsnow31802,

Thanks for these great photos! That’s exactly where I was asking in my earlier post. Good to see a photo of it. Jury is still out on where I’ll mount mine. So two options as far as location so far. Any reason you chose this location as opposed to the one @FunkyJunk chose?

Ski

@silentsnow31802,

Thanks for these great photos! That’s exactly where I was asking in my earlier post. Good to see a photo of it. Jury is still out on where I’ll mount mine. So two options as far as location so far. Any reason you chose this location as opposed to the one @FunkyJunk chose?

Ski

I wanted the camera lens as centered to the windshield as possible. I also dont like seeing it while im driving. This way the lens is in the center and its partially blocked from my view by the rear view mirror.