Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally had a free weekend to build and install the wireless relay based loosely on @HankLloydRight's design. I placed the wireless relay in-between my Blackvue Power Magic Ultra and the dashcam. Used 4P Molex connectors so its a straight swap in/out on the battery. Had to route the antenna outside of the housing due to electrical interference inside that was causing the latch to bounce. I decided to power the relay from the ultra battery so in the event I want to turn the camera on when the car is off I have that ability. Logically, the camera is hooked up in the NC position so by default the camera will be on when the relay is off. When the relay is open, the camera is off. The current draw of the relay when on is only 50mA (compared to the 900s 400mA) so on a full charge the relay can keep the camera off for 5 days.
8A6804A8-6804-40AC-B4EE-089D28130069.jpeg

Slighly off topic, but does anyone know what that "vent" is under the seat? Might not be the best location if it turns out to be true.

The new blackvue firmware allows the DR750s/DR900S to be powered off at certain locations...I wonder how much power this will save.

This wont save any additional power if you were manually shutting it off at your home location anyways. If you want it running, this feature wouldnt save anything.The new 750S and 900S firmware enable timelapse mode, which actually does save power. Instead of 16 hour runtime on my 900S, it has been able to get 20+ hours with timelapse enabled in parking mode

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
The new blackvue firmware allows the DR750s/DR900S to be powered off at certain locations...I wonder how much power this will save.

Just downloaded and installed and we're out of luck. There is no power off feature in 1.004 whatsoever. Only additions are the timelapse which will decrease power consumption as @ranova pointed out, motion detection selection, and rear camera mirror view. Guess my weekend project wasn't for not. :rolleyes:

Just downloaded and installed and we're out of luck. There is no power off feature in 1.004 whatsoever. Only additions are the timelapse which will decrease power consumption as @ranova pointed out, motion detection selection, and rear camera mirror view. Guess my weekend project wasn't for not. :rolleyes:

I bet yours and hank's efforts are not wasted. The camera will still have to run is low power mode - Im guessing when it detects movement it returns to normal recording. But even so, there likely will still be drain since its in a lower power state

Hi all, I want to install the blackvue dashcam + their external battery. Instead of stowing the external battery in the center console where the cigaratte lighter plug is, is there another place to mount/store the external battery that is out of sight?

Related to this, does anyone have a video showing this piece being removed? I've been able to shimmy a bit down but I'm not sure how it's secured to the car and a bit afraid to break it.
I did the install a couple days ago. The piece is held in place (pretty securely) by two metal clips on the back of the unit that go straight up into the headliner. So you just have to pry it down, I actually used a butter knife on the side.

Everything is pretty sturdy, so I wouldn’t worry about breaking anything. The tiny clips in the corners (near the lights) are for the front fascia, and ARE fragile so don’t pry there.

I did the install a couple days ago. The piece is held in place (pretty securely) by two metal clips on the back of the unit that go straight up into the headliner. So you just have to pry it down, I actually used a butter knife on the side.

Everything is pretty sturdy, so I wouldn’t worry about breaking anything. The tiny clips in the corners (near the lights) are for the front fascia, and ARE fragile so don’t pry there.

Can you post a pic with arrows, or with the module pulled? "Back" and "front" and etc. as a little ambiguous, and if there are fragile parts somewhere, a picture would help. Thanks.

Can you post a pic with arrows, or with the module pulled? "Back" and "front" and etc. as a little ambiguous, and if there are fragile parts somewhere, a picture would help. Thanks.
Don’t have a pic, but the fragile clips are at the corners. The module itself is black, and these clips are gray and hold the gray-colored fascia on (the part you can see).

Pry it loose by inserting something on the short ends of the module, right next to each light. A skinny screwdriver should work, I used a butter knife.

The clips that have to come loose would be at the “top” of the assembly when it’s in place. You can’t reach them.

Once you get the module out, you have to pull the wire harness out with some force, and you’ll get some slack. I first thought I was going to have to work in a very tight space. But it comes out further if you pull.

To tap into the yellow and black wires, I had to cut back the tape that the wires are bundled with about an inch.