Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I saw a question about this earlier that no one replied to. If your rear window is tinted, do people still mount their rear cam right over the tint?

Yes, mount it on top of the tint. I had the same question when installing my BlackVue cameras in my MS and called my Photo-sync tint installer he said mount it on top of the tint, that was 1 year ago 09/27/2017 and all mounts have not come loose.

Thanks for the datapoint. I am starting to lean towards this being an anomaly, rather than a systematic problem, because as far as I know there have only been 1-2 reports of the error message actually popping up (someone correct me if I'm wrong, here).

I've already got mine installed via the cig adapter, but I might just go ahead and wire it up to the 12V battery.
I've had mine installed 6 months ago directly to the battery, and I got the Battery Needs Replacing message.

Update on running the Blackvue DR750S-2CH from the B-124 + 2 TQKA '20000mah' packs:
Been working fantastic for the past 3 months. I've left the car parked over the weekend a few times and it still lasted to Monday in parking mode. The roughly 1.5 hours I drive per day seems to be enough to keep it recharged.
I still used my in-line switch to turn off the camera all-together when I left for a week-long vacation but then when I came back, the battery was still charged and ready to go.
For anyone not wanting to go the build-your-own route, I assume these results are very similar to using a B-124 + B-124E
(Would give total ~161Wh vs my ~169Wh)

I just wired my blackvue to the emergency light plug today. Seems to work fine. Does anyone know how to properly hide this wire? I know I'll have to remove the mirror housing/trim first but will I be able to get the wire to the emergency light area and if so how? TIA.

I just wired my blackvue to the emergency light plug today. Seems to work fine. Does anyone know how to properly hide this wire? I know I'll have to remove the mirror housing/trim first but will I be able to get the wire to the emergency light area and if so how? TIA.
I actually routed mine through the small opening for the existing wire harness, it came out on the other side of headliner (where it meets the windshield. Totally out of sight, and no need to remove any additional trim.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
How long do you typically have the camera run in parking mode and what is your daily commute like?

My commute is 5 miles each way to/from work each day. The camera typically runs in parking mode for 12-14 hour stretch in between (on days where I don't take it anywhere after work). I've left it running in parking mode for a few days when I'm out of town or just don't use the car for the weekend. I do lose some range in those cases, but hard to say how much is typical vampire drain vs running the camera. No drastic changes.

I actually routed mine through the small opening for the existing wire harness, it came out on the other side of headliner (where it meets the windshield. Totally out of sight, and no need to remove any additional trim.
Is your DashCam positioned below the AP cameras or next to it? I assume if it’s totally out of sight it’s on driver side next to AP cam housing?