Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Issues: Features Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm running 2020.12.1 firmware and am having problems with my DashCam setup, specifically, 2 features that have been added in various FW updates over the past few months just simply not working. I drive a late 2019 Model 3 Performance.

- Files are supposed to be cyclically deleted, correct? e.g., the USB drive is not supposed to fill up anymore (I can't remember which FW version added this, but I could have sworn this was added recently). My drive stopped working recently, and I finally realized it was full, which isn't supposed to happen anymore.
- After pulling the drive and seeing it was full, I reformatted it as an exFAT drive since support for this was added in 2020.8, however, exFAT is not working. Formatting as FAT32 for large drives is a total PITA on Windows now, so the addition of exFAT was a welcome change, but my car is simply not reading the drive now.

I use a Jeda hub with a Samsung T5 SSD, 1/2TB in size. Am I missing a setting somewhere for the above? I haven't seen any, and I'm wondering now if something is deficient on my Tesla.

I'm running 2020.12.1 firmware and am having problems with my DashCam setup, specifically, 2 features that have been added in various FW updates over the past few months just simply not working. I drive a late 2019 Model 3 Performance.

- Files are supposed to be cyclically deleted, correct? e.g., the USB drive is not supposed to fill up anymore (I can't remember which FW version added this, but I could have sworn this was added recently). My drive stopped working recently, and I finally realized it was full, which isn't supposed to happen anymore.

That's not QUITE correct.

So it stores video in 3 places.

The main Teslacam folder. This is a running 60 minute buffer- roughly 7.2 gigs, and it overwrites stuff older than 60 minutes.

The Sentry folder- when sentry alerts or alarms is moves the most recent 10 minutes from the teslacam folder here- and saves it... if it gets down to 5GB or less free it'll overwrite stuff here.

The Saved folder. This is when you manually save a 10 minute segment via the teslacam screen button or the horn. These are never removed or overwritten- you have to manually clean this out.

So either your saved folder got too big- or something else is going on- but you'd need to look at what files are taking up how much space where to try and figure that out further.

I'
- After pulling the drive and seeing it was full, I reformatted it as an exFAT drive since support for this was added in 2020.8, however, exFAT is not working. Formatting as FAT32 for large drives is a total PITA on Windows now, so the addition of exFAT was a welcome change, but my car is simply not reading the drive now.

The exfat thing was reported as added in .8 supposedly but apparently never actually worked in any other version including newer ones- I've not seen anybody getting it working.

Just use a 3rd party program like rufus and formatting FAT32 takes a couple minutes.

Thanks for the detailed info, got it. Wish they'd add some sort of toggle, like 'clean out files older than <x> number of days'...I have a 1/2TB Samsung SSD, fills up fairly quickly though. Too quickly sometimes. Curious why exFAT doesn't work...I know you have to license it from MSFT, but the spec is fairly detailed and easy to implement (my consulting company has a license for some of our IoT devices we manufacture).

Many thanks!