Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam not working - Some advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 SR+ running 2019.40.2.1
I am using a SanDisk High Endurance 64Gb card in a USB adaptor formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32) on a Mac with a folder called TeslaCam.
Since installing this it has worked perfectly for three weeks but I had to delete the Sentry files as the memory card was full (A problem of not being able to disable Sentry mode at home). I deleted the files and replaced the card in the car but it wasn't recognised. The black Sentry icon was present but no camera icon. I rebooted the screen with no effect and rebooted the car as well. I then tried reformatting the memory card but still no icon. The memory card still functions on loading and running files both on my Mac and on my iPhone so the card doesn't seem to be corrupted. When I put another old USB stick in the car it is recognised and the camera icon appears.
My question is, is there a problem with the file structure on the dedicated memory card that my Tesla doesn't like. I don't really want to buy another memory card for the same issue to occur again.

Thanks for that but I think I have done all the recommended things in that list and still no camera icon. What I find strange is that it worked fine for three weeks then stopped and the fact that the memory card is fully useable in any other device.

My new micro to usb adapter with a similar card failed after several weeks. It worked in the computer port but not in the car or with my android phone and the sentry viewer app. The replacement adapter with the same card is working so far. This is all very strange.

My new micro to usb adapter with a similar card failed after several weeks. It worked in the computer port but not in the car or with my android phone and the sentry viewer app. The replacement adapter with the same card is working so far. This is all very strange.
Same. Sounds like three of us. I removed a 256GB Micro SD card from the car to delete some files, when I plugged it back in it didn't work.

The first thing to try is to reformat it.

That didn't work for me, and it turned out that the Sandisk Micro SD-USB adapter would suddenly work in my PC but not in my Tesla. I bought another Micro SD-USB adapter and it's been fine since.

Same. Sounds like three of us. I removed a 256GB Micro SD card from the car to delete some files, when I plugged it back in it didn't work.

The first thing to try is to reformat it.

That didn't work for me, and it turned out that the Sandisk Micro SD-USB adapter would suddenly work in my PC but not in my Tesla. I bought another Micro SD-USB adapter and it's been fine since.

Oaky that sounds like an option so I will try that first. Thanks.

Why the adaptor? Why not get one of these? It’s tiny and only $11.

upload_2019-12-22_1-11-45.jpeg

I never really noticed the heat until I recently plugging it in to my laptop. Every now and then since I've installed 40.2.1 (the worst update for my car so far) I get the "USB drive not fast enough"- even though it's a USB3.0. I was assuming it was this update, since others have had different problems with it as well. But i didn't really notice the heat when it was plugged in the car. I should probably check it again. I've been using it for a few months with no problems til now. Maybe I'll try to find one of the longer usb sticks that can pivot up or down, if they make 'em.