Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam only saving 1.2KB mp4 files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen posts about the dashcam not working without reformatting, but I haven't seen posts about my particular issue:

The TeslaCam folder is saving 1.2 KB mp4 files, and the root directory has *.REC files - some around 30 MB and others in the KB range. I'm using a 32 GB FAT32 stick.

The screen has consistently shown the red dot and check mark when I save a recording - no issues with an X like some people have reported.

Screenshots
Root: Screen Shot on 2018-10-15 at 11:57:48.png
TeslaCam folder: Screen Shot on 2018-10-15 at 11:57:58.png

VLC doesn't seem to be able to convert any of the larger files and nothing is playable in anything I've tried.

I guess I'll reformat and give it another shot, but curious if anyone has had this particular issue...

Note: One weird thing I just noticed - it shows the drive being formatted as FAT32 in Disk Utility, but I only have regular FAT as an option (because Mac). Screenshot: Screen Shot on 2018-10-15 at 12:00:54.png

Reactions: forkee
i also had this issue. deleted all the files and just started from scratch.

i don't know why tesla can't just self insert a new folder in a usb drive if not already created and start recording

also, it seemed like once i manually recorded 3x, aka around 30 one minute files, it stopped loop recording, as if only a certain number of files are allowed in the teslacam folder.

My experience has been . . . different.

Today, the dashcam is recording every drive. Roughly 30MB files each, 1.3Gb worth. All saved to the TeslaCam folder as mp4s, all playable with Windows Media player.

I pressed the save key only once today to generate what I thought would be a single saved 10 min video. I now have numerous “saves” and “recents” in the TeslaCam folder.

At the root I can see several .rec files, not playable. Not familiar with the extension. I thought these might be the continuous loop files not directly accessible. Who knows.

So either my dashcam is working perfectly, albeit nonstop, and Elon was right to suggest a drive with the largest possible capacity, or it’s totally screwy. But no issues at all with recording or capacity limits (yet).

At the root I can see several .rec files, not playable. Not familiar with the extension. I thought these might be the continuous loop files not directly accessible. Who knows.
The FSCKxxxx.rec files are not videos, but are generated by the Linux filesystem checker (fsck). Their presence is a sign that the filesystem has been corrupted and then repaired (recovered lost clusters). There is apparently some bug in the TeslaCam feature that causes the corruption. There are several other threads discussing this, and everyone seems to see the same thing.

Reactions: FalconFour
Can you give some details on the drive you're using? Also, any special formatting notes?
I should have held my tongue. I now have the dreaded grayed out x cam icon.

Just to respond, I have a SanDisk 32Gb USB 3.1. Preformatted FAT32. Garden variety flash. 2.0 is good enough. I removed bundled encryption software.

It isn’t the hardware. Thanks Eno Deb for the Linux and chatter insights. I sense an updated update ahead.