Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Options/Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend installing an external dashcam, because the Tesla image quality is not that great, so it is difficult to read an other car's license plate number.
Also a dashcam should be constanly recording and saving content. The Tesla dashcam saves only video content when Sentry get triggered, if you use your horn, or press on the icon.
I have a Blackvue DR900X using a Sony 4K Ultra High Definition (3840×2160) camera. The dashcam can be connected to the cloud by WiFi, so I can remotely access content when parked.

I would recommend installing an external dashcam, because the Tesla image quality is not that great, so it is difficult to read an other car's license plate number.
Also a dashcam should be constanly recording and saving content. The Tesla dashcam saves only video content when Sentry get triggered, if you use your horn, or press on the icon.
I have a Blackvue DR900X using a Sony 4K Ultra High Definition (3840×2160) camera. The dashcam can be connected to the cloud by WiFi, so I can remotely access content when parked.
That’s nice , how did you manage the wiring ? Was it easy to run it through ?

That’s nice , how did you manage the wiring ? Was it easy to run it through ?
I just use the auxiliary 12V plug and go straight to the camera hiding the extra wire length under the passenger foot step.
It is very easy to hide the wires under the various molding panels without having to remove them.

I would recommend installing the dashcam under the rearview mirror instead of directly to the widshield,
to make it less noticeable but also to have it less exposed to the sun when parked.

See some examples of instalations:

img_20181219_120608-jpg.618902

blackvue-mirror-install-jpg.619664

Last edited:
I just use the auxiliary 12V plug and go straight to the camera hiding the extra wire length under the passenger foot step.
It is very easy to hide the wires under the various molding panels without having to remove them.

I would recommend installing the dashcam under the rearview mirror instead of directly to the widshield,
to make it less noticeable but also to have it less exposed to the sun when parked.

See some examples of instalations:

img_20181219_120608-jpg.618902

blackvue-mirror-install-jpg.619664
Thanks for sharing this . Have you faced any issues by keeping it plugged in to 12 v socket which is always on ?