Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam overwrites last video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 128Gb USB flash drive, partitioned into two parts: one for dashcam and one for music. It works well except the dashcam recentClips folder could only save one trip, even though there is a plenty space. Even when it is parked, it still replace the last driving recording with a bunch of 1KB files. Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: puckpurnell
I have an 128Gb USB flash drive, partitioned into two parts: one for dashcam and one for music. It works well except the dashcam recentClips folder could only save one trip, even though there is a plenty space. Even when it is parked, it still replace the last driving recording with a bunch of 1KB files. Any ideas?

Unless you tell it to save (by touching the camera icon), it only keeps the most recent hour of clips in RecentClips. That's functioning as designed. Then anything you save goes into SavedClips--ten minutes' worth.
Thanks for the prompt reply. It is fine if this is the design intent. A more sensible approach would be to keep saving the recordings until the disk if full and then overwrite the oldest ones.

Thanks for the prompt reply. It is fine if this is the design intent. A more sensible approach would be to keep saving the recordings until the disk if full and then overwrite the oldest ones.
This would conflict with Sentry Cam. Better to have the one that you are a 1st party witness to (and writes the most files) while driving overwrite and save space so that more Sentry Cam can be saved since you might not spot damage for a few days and NEED to go back.

This would conflict with Sentry Cam. Better to have the one that you are a 1st party witness to (and writes the most files) while driving overwrite and save space so that more Sentry Cam can be saved since you might not spot damage for a few days and NEED to go back.
Yep, I agree. Having hours and hours of unremarkable dashcam footage would be a yawner and a waste of space.