TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Dashcam parking mode or continuous on?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by HappyHappy, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

Question for you guys with dashcams. Do you guys enable any type of parking modes or simply let the dashcam run on always on power? Besides wear on the sd card, is there any harm? Do the parking modes on either the Blackvue or Thinkware F770 capture what you need?

2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I use a Thinkware F750 and have the wiring kit so that it goes into parking mode.
    I wasn't worried about wear and tear on the SD card, but with a front and back camera at 1080p it quickly fills up and cycles.

I find the parking mode works well, motion detection and physical jolt triggered recording.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

my blackview unit would go into park mode automatically after X amount of time with no motion.

4. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

My BlackVue DR650GW-2CH goes into Parking Mode after a [non-configurable] amount of time. The corellary is that when I first start driving the card, the first video is usually still in Parking Mode. It takes the motion and/or GPS signal to have camera go back into Normal Mode.

I have had my BlackVue for over a year and have had no problems with the factory-provided 128GB MicroSD card. I have only formatted it once or twice - the instructions tell you to do it every month!

5. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

The ThinkWare will nag you about regularly formatting. However, there's a timestamp file which has the last time the format was done, just change that to be a couple of years in the future and it'll leave you alone.