Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam paused, won’t un-pause

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally bought a 64 GB thumb drive. Fat 32 isn’t compatible with 64 GB. I partition the thumb drive and formatted correctly. I added a teslacam folder, and it worked on the first shot. Then I got a software update to version 39 and the next morning the dash cam icon had a little X in the top right corner. Nothing I do can unpause it. I tried deleting the contents and re-creating the folder and I get the same behavior. Anyone else? I see no posts about it and customer service is backed up 30 minutes plus.

I’ve heard other people have reported the same thing with the latest release (I think the problem release is 39.7 which I personally do not have yet).

Also, FAT32 will work fine with 64GB drives. You just need the right formatting tool. I’m guessing that you are using Microsoft Window’s formatter which has that limitation.

Reactions: wesley888
I've had recurrent issues. 2 different thumb drives so far. Properly formatted to FAT32. Both worked fine initially with the red-dot on the dashcam 'button', ability to record/save a 10 minute segment, etc. Then, it just quits working and instead of the red dot there's a tiny "x" where the dot used to be on the dashcam icon.

When the thumb drive is inserted into my PC I get there "There is a problem with this drive" pop-up and the offer to repair. I execute the repair and have access to the files that recorded up until it quit. The same thumb drive then works again for a little while before the same issue recurs.

In my case, I did do an MCU reboot the first time and it did not resolve the issue.

Am currently formatting a 3rd thumb drive to Fat32 and will try again, but am getting a bit frustrated. It seems like the car is corrupting these drives somehow.

Also, it seems like it's putting additional files on this latest thumb drive that shouldn't be there? Does everyone else have these?
Screenshot 2018-10-13 13.35.56.png

When formatting a 32GB flash drive on Win10, the Allocation Unit Size defaults to 32 kilobytes. I used that default and have had tons of inconsistentcy with TeslaCam. It seems like I need to restart the MCU one to two times a day to get it working again. I have also experienced the Windows popup message that my USB flash drive needs repair when attempting to view the recordings.

For those of you that have had a consistent TeslaCam experience, did you use a different allocation unit size or accept default settings?

EDIT: after pulling my USB drive this morning and attempting a reformat, the default Allocation Unit Size came up as 16 kilobytes. I'm going to try this setting.

Last edited:
I’m using a 256 GB SSD drive, because that’s what I could find in Costco :D

I formatted it correctly, and it works, but the first few times I pulled it out to take a look at the footage, my comp kept saying the drive needed repair. Is this because I didn’t “eject” it?
Is there even a way to “eject” it properly?

I’m using a 256 GB SSD drive, because that’s what I could find in Costco :D

I formatted it correctly, and it works, but the first few times I pulled it out to take a look at the footage, my comp kept saying the drive needed repair. Is this because I didn’t “eject” it?
Is there even a way to “eject” it properly?

Yes. Press and hold the dash cam button. This will turn it off. Then pull the usb.

• Informative
Reformatting should take care of it also.

I played with the dash cam feature on my wife’s model 3 and it worked for a bit, but then I got the gray x instead of red record light. Deleting all the files didn’t fix the issue. But reformatting the USB drive did the trick.

When I was first playing with the feature, I tapped the dash cam icon several times in the span of just a few minutes to record clips and this may have been what caused the issue. Has anyone had a problem without tapping the icon, or are all the issues related the save on demand feature?

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime
I've had recurrent issues. 2 different thumb drives so far. Properly formatted to FAT32. Both worked fine initially with the red-dot on the dashcam 'button', ability to record/save a 10 minute segment, etc. Then, it just quits working and instead of the red dot there's a tiny "x" where the dot used to be on the dashcam icon.

When the thumb drive is inserted into my PC I get there "There is a problem with this drive" pop-up and the offer to repair. I execute the repair and have access to the files that recorded up until it quit. The same thumb drive then works again for a little while before the same issue recurs.

In my case, I did do an MCU reboot the first time and it did not resolve the issue.

Am currently formatting a 3rd thumb drive to Fat32 and will try again, but am getting a bit frustrated. It seems like the car is corrupting these drives somehow.

Also, it seems like it's putting additional files on this latest thumb drive that shouldn't be there? Does everyone else have these?View attachment 343532

Yes to literally all of this. Grey x, "something is wrong with the drive," repairing it makes it work, lots of other files on the drive, etc. Expecting it to fail again now, since that seems to be the pattern. Not fully baked beta, it seems.

Yes to literally all of this. Grey x, "something is wrong with the drive," repairing it makes it work, lots of other files on the drive, etc. Expecting it to fail again now, since that seems to be the pattern. Not fully baked beta, it seems.
Interestingly, my 3rd thumb drive, formatted with the longer version (ie. not 'quick format') to FAT32, and a smaller size drive (8GB instead of 128 as previously), and left in the USB slot after an initial crash and then an MCU reboot, has worked fine for the past 2 days. Not sure if this is a faster read/write thing (I don't know what the previous were or what this one is), if the longer format, the MCU reboot, or some other voodoo is what's responsible...but I'm happy for the moment.

Also, it seems like it's putting additional files on this latest thumb drive that shouldn't be there? Does everyone else have these?View attachment 343532
I had the same files. All had an odd date too, sometime in 1969. I should have taken a screen shot but I deleted the files and emptied the trash. On my Mac the card still works fine. Since I have a Blackvue camera as well I am going to stop the experiment for now. I was using the USB for both music and TeslaCam but when it failed with the camera it also failed for the music.

Would an SSD be the wrong drive type for this purpose? I've burned two in less than 2 weeks of using them. I did do the "stop recording" and then remove with the second one, but not the first.
Oops.
But regardless, I still get the "something is wrong with this drive, would you like to repair it?" prompt come up when I plug it in. After the second time of removing it, all the files recorded (car said it was recording fine) come up corrupt and unplayable.
After I get that issue, even formatting won't fix and all files recorded from car are corrupt and won't play.
Because of this, I don't want to purchase another USB have it go out just after the return period. Am I just being dumb? Something I'm doing wrong?