Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam pausing difficulty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I alone in having trouble pausing the dashcam?

If it is paused, with a grey dot, then one press gets it to record - no problem. When it is recording - red dot - if I touch it once it downloads then briefly shows a green tick before returning to a red dot=recording. If I try and touch and hold it to get it to pause it just seems to either download, go back to recording or start moving the map around. Eventually after many attempts I can get it to pause but I know not what I have done differently to all my previous attempts.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

I should point out that I have a partitioned USB with music on one drive and TeslaCam on the other. When dashcam is recording then the music pauses whenever it downloads. Is this the problem perhaps?

I initially had this problem because of how I was positioning my finger over the camera icon. Try holding your finger more to the right of the icon when you are going to press. When you see the visual “wave or ripple” radiating out from the icon towards you in the driver’s seat you’ve held it long enough, stop pressing and see if that does it for you. I read the Manual about the wave/ripple effect and since then never had a problem getting TeslaCam to start, record/download to file, or stop recording to safely remove the flash drive.

Last edited:
Thanks SMAIset that worked! I must practice my button pushing technique. I found that I did not have to hold my finger to the right as you suggest though but had to be patient after the wave/ripple as the icon did not immediately turn from red to grey. I guess that what I was doing before was holding my finger on too long so I was changing it red to grey and then back to red without knowing it.

So to make it clear;

When the icon has a red dot (recording); press and hold with your finger until you see the small wave/ripple then IMMEDIATELY take your finger off. A second or so after this the red dot will change to a grey one (and stay that way until the next press)

Reactions: SMAlset
Glad that did the trick for you. When I first tried getting the icon to pause recording, my index finger would cover too much of the icon and I couldn't see the wave/ripple at all so no visual confirmation of the command. Frustrated I went looking for what I was suppose to do to get it to work; didn't want my drive or important video to be corrupted. Found that moving my finger more over to the right I could see it however as it pulses out toward the driver.

You know after I posted about the manual I went looking through the old copies of the manuals that I've kept on my computer so I could post the reference. Searched and couldn't find the reference anywhere. I know I got it from something at the time, likely back in early November when the feature came out, and think possibly it was an article then or maybe someone's YT video would be a possibility. But I can picture reading about the screen movement. I even went back to all the screen captures of software updates I've taken on my phone explaining the new features and nada. Well problem solved and your question has probably educated others as well.

Last edited: