Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam powered through 12V cigarette lighter - OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when sentry mode is on, the 12V cigarette lighter is always powered on, as far as I understand. I have installed a second dashcam (redundancy, better quality, etc - I want one) and am wondering, is it safe to leave it continuously powered on when sentry is on? Specifically, I am wondering if it'll have a negative impact on the battery life of the 12V. Does the cigarette lighter even get powered by the 12V battery? Or does it get powered by the main battery?

The 12V accessory ports and the USB ports are only powered when the Tesla vehicle is powered on. Having Sentry mode active will keep the Tesla Model Y powered on. The 12V (now 15V lithium) battery only powers the door locks, alarm (not Sentry mode), LTE modem and the BT functions when the Tesla Model Y is powered down. The 12V (15V lithium) battery briefly powers the computers while the Tesla Model Y is powering up. When the Tesla Model Y is powered on 12V power is provided by the power conversion system (a DC-to-DC converter.) The power conversion system also charges the 12V (15V lithium battery.)

Reactions: sleepydoc
The 12V accessory ports and the USB ports are only powered when the Tesla vehicle is powered on. Having Sentry mode active will keep the Tesla Model Y powered on. The 12V (now 15V lithium) battery only powers the door locks, alarm (not Sentry mode), LTE modem and the BT functions when the Tesla Model Y is powered down. The 12V (15V lithium) battery briefly powers the computers while the Tesla Model Y is powering up. When the Tesla Model Y is powered on 12V power is provided by the power conversion system (a DC-to-DC converter.) The power conversion system also charges the 12V (15V lithium battery.)
I'm pretty sure the cigarette lighter has continued powering my dashcam when sentry mode on?