Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a model s that I bought in December 2016. I can't seem to get the dashcam to work.

I bought a sandisk 64gb flashdrive formatted FAT32. I checked the properties on my computer and it is FAT32.
I added a folder called TeslaCam.
I plugged it into a usb port under the air vent facing the rear seat. Those are the only front facing usb ports I can find. I don't have anything labelled 12v that I can find.
When I drive, the dashcam icon doesn't appear and nothing records.

What am I doing wrong?

Our S is a Dec16 S as well. Can't record because it's an MCU 1.0 model. You have AP 2.0, but MCU is 1.0.and MCU 1 doesn't have record capability, so it's basically for show (sentry and dashcam - pretty sure as I've forgotten).
Dzm

Hi,

I have a model s that I bought in December 2016. I can't seem to get the dashcam to work.

I bought a sandisk 64gb flashdrive formatted FAT32. I checked the properties on my computer and it is FAT32.
I plugged it into a usb port under the air vent facing the rear seat. Those are the only front facing usb ports I can find. I don't have anything labelled 12v that I can find.

What am I doing wrong?
I have a 2018 so forgive me if I am mistaken about this. I believe you have it plugged into a rear USB port. On mine, and I believe yours as well, you need to plug it in the front ports. The front ports on mine are on the backside, facing forward, of the cubby between the front seats under the arm rests.

Reactions: Saghost
Hi,

What am I doing wrong?

srredbeard is correct. Your problem is that it is plugged into the wrong port - the ones you used are charging only.

Directly under the armrest there's a section that flips forward into a phone holder - at the rear of that chamber is a 12V outlet and a pair of USB ports. it has to be plugged in to one of those (or a USB hub plugged in to one of them.

If you don't have a center console the geometry is a little different, but the ports should be near there anyway.

srredbeard is correct. Your problem is that it is plugged into the wrong port - the ones you used are charging only.

Directly under the armrest there's a section that flips forward into a phone holder - at the rear of that chamber is a 12V outlet and a pair of USB ports. it has to be plugged in to one of those (or a USB hub plugged in to one of them.

If you don't have a center console the geometry is a little different, but the ports should be near there anyway.
Thank you all for your responses. I plugged in the USB to the USB port next to the 12v plug, but it still doesn't work. Any other thoughts?

Thank you all for your responses. I plugged in the USB to the USB port next to the 12v plug, but it still doesn't work. Any other thoughts?

Wait. December 2016. So It's an AP2 car.

You may not be able to record right now - it seems like the AP2 computer may not be capable of it; there's been some suggestion that it would come in a future firmware update, but I don't think it has yet.

You'll get the feature with the AP3 computer upgrade when you get that (if you buy/have bought FSD) if not before.

yes, I bought it after the hardware upgrade in late 2016. I don't understand AP2, but I have the extra cameras and I did buy fsd. So I just wait. I have sentry mode turned on. Does that make a difference. If sentry mode records, will I be able to see the video?

yes, I bought it after the hardware upgrade in late 2016. I don't understand AP2, but I have the extra cameras and I did buy fsd. So I just wait. I have sentry mode turned on. Does that make a difference. If sentry mode records, will I be able to see the video?

On AP2, Sentry mode doesn't record video right now. It'll give you alerts, and it'll flash the screen and headlight to warn folks that get near, but it doesn't leave any video records you can keep.

AP2 is the second generation Autopilot hardware, the first using Tesla developed Neural Networks (AP1 used Mobileye NNs running on Mobileye custom hardware,) the first with 8 cameras and the first to promise Full Self Driving eventually. Introduced in October of 2016, it was replaced by AP2.5 (third generation hardware with a faster computer and slightly different cameras and radar) in August 2017.

That was finally replaced with AP3 (as far as we know the same cameras and radar as AP2.5, but with the Tesla designed custom Neural Network accelerator computer they've been working towards from the beginning of FSD) in April of 2019. Tesla has started retrofitting some cars with FSD to AP3 standard and has promised they'll eventually do that for all cars that bought FSD. I haven't read of an AP2 car being retrofit yet.