Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Randomly Records-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still learning this car 3-1/2 weeks post delivery. Just curious what sets it off to record seemingly random clips during a drive. The clips have just been the last 2 days, each 10:49 long, one before the update to 12.5, and one today after it updated last night. Both started midway during a drive with nothing strange happening around the time it started recording. I parked, and it kept recording a parking lot a few minutes after.

Not a big deal at all, just curious why it did it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Where are you finding these clips? Saved clips contains clips that have been saved by pressing the dashcam icon while in drive, and/or clips caused by honking if you have that enabled. Sentry Clips has sentry mode clips. Sometimes sentry mode clips will have driving at the start of them - usually (not always) sentry mode clips are 10 minutes in length (approximately), and the event that triggers them happens one minute before the end of the clip. So if you were driving, then parked and got out of the car for a few minutes, and then sentry mode was triggered, you might have some driving at the front of the recording.

• Informative
Sentry is another - if an event that triggered sentry mode happened less than 10 minutes after you parked, some driving footage would be included.

Where are you finding these clips? Saved clips contains clips that have been saved by pressing the dashcam icon while in drive, and/or clips caused by honking if you have that enabled. Sentry Clips has sentry mode clips. Sometimes sentry mode clips will have driving at the start of them - usually (not always) sentry mode clips are 10 minutes in length (approximately), and the event that triggers them happens one minute before the end of the clip. So if you were driving, then parked and got out of the car for a few minutes, and then sentry mode was triggered, you might have some driving at the front of the recording.

Ahhh, OK. That makes total sense now! That's exactly what was going on, they were sentry clips. I kept looking through the early parts of the clips trying to figure out why it started there.

Thanks all!!!

Hello all,
New in the forum...
Googling for help with this random recording issue started after the latest update. Glad I found you guys.
Have tried different sticks, reformats, reboots... no help!
It is comforting to hear that others have the same problem, not just me.
Hope Tesla comes up with a fix soon.