Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Rattle + Frunk Rattle (Any tips?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

The suspect car is a Tesla Model Y in November '22, and the rattles are driving me insane. I don't want to leave my car at the dealership if they won't solve the problem, so I was wondering if anyone has taken their cars in for a rattle and could share what the Tesla folks did to repair it. If you've solved a similar rattle issue yourself, please share your tips and tricks.

Here are some details about my car that might be helpful:
  • It has around 4,000 miles on it
  • Tesla mobile tech came by to install homelink
  • Tesla mobile tech replaced the driver-side door panel
  • I have mud flaps installed on all four wheels
Right now, I'm dealing with two sets of rattles. One has always been there since day one, but now it's more prominent. Tesla couldn't find anything wrong with it when I dropped it off after delivery, so I doubt they can do anything now.

1. The rattle is coming from the dashcam housing and makes a crazy sound when going over regular, jacked-up roads here in the Bay Area. I know it's coming from the housing because I can press down on the flat area where there are vent holes (not sure for what) and it goes away. I took it apart over the weekend and added some sound-dampening material, but there are multiple pieces that are clipped together and pressed against the windshield. Aside from adding sound dampening and using electrical tape to hold it down against the smaller pieces that reside against the windshield, I'm not sure what else I can do to keep it from rattling. For those who have brought this to Tesla, how did you guys fix it? I know it's a known rattle spot.
  2. The other rattle is coming from the front of the car, either under the dashboard or from the frunk. This one is pretty crazy because it sounds like I trapped a bird. It chirps! Hard to describe, but it legit chirps like a bird is singing in the cabin when I go over bumps. It sounds more like plastic on plastic than nuts and bolts. This was the one that existed since day one but got more hardcore in both the sound it makes and the type of sound it produces. It didn't use to chirp, just rattle, but now it's chirping. The difference between when the chirping started was after the mobile tech installed homelink. Over the weekend, I inspected the frunk and it looks like a bunch of the white clips that hold the top plastic piece in place were not set in place. I'm having my wife drive around without that top piece after I removed it just to see if it goes away. The chirping has definitely died down to uncommon but is not gone 100%. My questions here are: any tips on how to secure the clips when I put that cheap plastic back, and are there any chirping technicians out there?

Thanks for reading up to this point. Can't believe I'm here talking about rattles and chirps, but here I am, lol. Honestly feels like I just picked up an old project car and doing self mods to make it function like a regular car, haha.

i have the same issues when driving over uneven roads...still can't figure out where exactly the rattle comes from. works fine on even roads.
Okay, per suggestion from the other thread, I just had my wife check the roof liner, the one all the way up at the front, where the dashcam/rear view mirror housing touches the liner. That WHOLE entire liner from driver to passenger side was OFF. She pushed it up starting from the dashcam area and it just "clipped" right on. Same with the driver and passenger.

Check yours to ensure that everything up there are clipped and secured. I still can't believe it, but yah...lol, build quality is top notch baby!

This was the thread that I found. Someone posted it with a video of the stupid "bird" too, lol Chirping noise

ok so i noticed the gap too near the entire dash cam area but every time i push on that area that portion never clips back in. i wonder what gives.

but that's definitely the cause for rattle. every time on a rough road i push my hand on that area when driving and no rattle at all.

ok so i noticed the gap too near the entire dash cam area but every time i push on that area that portion never clips back in. i wonder what gives.

but that's definitely the cause for rattle. every time on a rough road i push my hand on that area when driving and no rattle at all.
It should just snap right up in place. Just push it up firmly (Don't use too much force). Just to clarify, I'm talking about this area that I circled in red.

@Kokukenji do you happen to have a picture or video of how you fixed the dash issue? My new Model Y is having the same issue and it's driving me nuts. The above image won't load
Yah, this is not my Tesla but took a screencap of it and marked the area in red. Basically if you get in your car (either driver or passenger side) Stick your head towards the windshield, look up and then back. That's the area marked. You can't see it when you're looking forward or if you are looking from the outside of the car.

That entire area should be as pictured, all snapped in. You should not be able to stick your hand inside it either. These are plastic snaps so you just push up by the edges and it should snap back in place.

I have the same rattle in the camera mount of the front windshield. Is driving us nuts. If we push up on the end towards
the front, it stops. Car is 2 months old. Do I need to make a service call and bring to shop? Can a tesla mobile fix this?