TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dashcam .rec files viewable ..... but no music

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Nikola M3, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

#1 Nikola M3, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    I pulled my dashcam drive tonight and found the .rec files that reside in the root directory are now viewable. Before 42.2 I could not play them. There were some .rec files on the drive when the firmware was 39.7.1 and they are NOT viewable Since 42.2, now 42.4, there have been 20 .rec files made and all but 1 is viewable. I am sure since watching them they are created when the car is turning itself off.

BUT ..... since 42.4 my music USB drives will not play, the same drives I have used since I got the car, go figure.

2. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

I think these are filesystem check (FSCK) recovery files that are recovered when you plug your USB drive into the computer and it attempts to clean the "corrupted" drive. It's not entirely surprising that they are playable in that there were likely old files that were not closed correctly and Windows was able to recover the data, but the intent was not that they should be playable as .rec files. The fact that they are viewable after 42.2 is likely simply due to the fact that the car is doing a bit better job at writing the files, but is still not completely managing the file system.

As for your music issue, I'm guessing it's an unrelated issue.