Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam & Sandisk iXpand USB Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using the Sandisk iXpand USB For iPhone since we took delivery of our Model 3 almost 2 months ago. I try to check the files every week and clear out/make space for new files using an iMac and everything has been going well or so I thought.

I was in a minor parking lot accident yesterday and was looking forward to reviewing the video and sending it to my insurance company. Sorting through the folders, the videos played fine until I got to folders dated 07/28. Everything after 07/28 would not play. It didn’t say corrupt, but I did notice that all files since 07/28 were only 595 bytes.

The only thing that happened on 07/28 was my very first Tesla Mobile Repair Service. Even that even was not recorded.

This morning, I reformatted the same USB drive and tested the dashcam/Sentry Mode and it’s the same issues, all files were unplayable and only 595 bytes.

Tesla Chat is claiming that 64gb drive is too much for the car to handle that’s why the files are corrupted.m which isn’t the case at all. The drive was also only 1/3 full.

Anyone else using this USB model and having the same issues? It really sucks that the dashcam/usb failed right when something important actually happened.

28E6DEEF-8674-4B08-9A0E-D0E53EA783F4.jpeg

...can’t remember.

Please look up what firmware you have. Most likely, it's because you got 2019.24.4.

If it is NOT 2019.24.4, then you need to investigate further.

If you have 2019.24.4, then you are sharing with lots of people who have problems with TeslaCam and Sentry Mode. There's no need to investigate further because it was fine before this version. Tesla will need to release another update to fix this bug, and hopefully, it will not introduce new bugs.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I have 24.4 and just got the ixpand 128gb yesterday to use with the SentryView app. I haven’t checked it since. But yesterday I Put the usb in for a minute to record something and test out with the SentryView app and was able to view it on my iPhone.

Is that the case for everyone though? They’re are getting recording but empty files?

Please look up what firmware you have. Most likely, it's because you got 2019.24.4.

If it is NOT 2019.24.4, then you need to investigate further.

If you have 2019.24.4, then you are sharing with lots of people who have problems with TeslaCam and Sentry Mode. There's no need to investigate further because it was fine before this version. Tesla will need to release another update to fix this bug, and hopefully, it will not introduce new bugs.

Is that the case for everyone though? They’re are getting recording but empty files?

No. Not everyone has the same problem of empty files.

What in common is: Owner's flash drives work fine before 2019.24.4.

Now, with 2019.24.4, some owners have no problems but others have a common problem that the camera recording or flash drive is no longer useable.

Hello,
Same issue for me, with a good brand USB key with 24.4 and 20.something before that. Having HW2.5.
Usually I recover the files with photorec (on Linux)
hint : you can recover much much more than the typical one hour of recording by using photorec !
I suppose it'a caching problem at the moment the usb power is shut down in the car, and the file system seems not to recover that.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
UPDATE:

I don't know what's happening but I have not received any updates since I posted this thread but I checked my USB drive and as of 08/01/19, Sentry and Dashcam are recording normally again. I should be happy but I don't like the idea that that happened without any cause and fixed itself without any actions from my end. This just makes sentry and dashcam unreliable.

2019.24.4 version

UPDATE:

I don't know what's happening but I have not received any updates since I posted this thread but I checked my USB drive and as of 08/01/19, Sentry and Dashcam are recording normally again. I should be happy but I don't like the idea that that happened without any cause and fixed itself without any actions from my end. This just makes sentry and dashcam unreliable.

2019.24.4 version

Same for me. Since this afternoon Sentry and Dashcam are recording normally again. I did not receive an update, although I expect to receive 2019.28.2 shorty. Currently running on 2019.24.4

Reactions: Tuazon81
I’ve been using the Sandisk iXpand USB For iPhone since we took delivery of our Model 3 almost 2 months ago. I try to check the files every week and clear out/make space for new files using an iMac and everything has been going well or so I thought.

I was in a minor parking lot accident yesterday and was looking forward to reviewing the video and sending it to my insurance company. Sorting through the folders, the videos played fine until I got to folders dated 07/28. Everything after 07/28 would not play. It didn’t say corrupt, but I did notice that all files since 07/28 were only 595 bytes.

The only thing that happened on 07/28 was my very first Tesla Mobile Repair Service. Even that even was not recorded.

This morning, I reformatted the same USB drive and tested the dashcam/Sentry Mode and it’s the same issues, all files were unplayable and only 595 bytes.

Tesla Chat is claiming that 64gb drive is too much for the car to handle that’s why the files are corrupted.m which isn’t the case at all. The drive was also only 1/3 full.

Anyone else using this USB model and having the same issues? It really sucks that the dashcam/usb failed right when something important actually happened.

View attachment 436275

I got mine at PureTesla......256gb and perforated by them....true plug and play......my issue, I cant find app or program that will allow me to view on my iMac

Reactions: tfraley