Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam - save recording misses the event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times I've wanted to record an event so hit save clip. And on these couple of times, I've missed the all important run up to the event.

Coincidence, or when hitting dashcam save event, does it only go back a few (7 seconds below) seconds prior to the event and non gapless recording miss the second or so chunk immediately prior, ie, the all important bit?

Below, the 'incident' happened in the missing time between these two consecutive frames.

Final frame of previous video segment
Screenshot (251).png

First frame of 7 second saved segment. By this time, the incident had been missed, ie in the time taken for car to travel between the frame above and reach the railings.

Screenshot (252).png

Another example. Watch the cyclist on left about to cross the exit of the roundabout.

But the whole incident is missed.

Last frame of preceding segment

Screenshot (253).png

First frame of saved segment. The incident completely missed.

Screenshot (254).png

Don't want to get into too much of a conversation on rights and wrongs, but cyclist was heading for the Motorway on ramp :eek: and cut across a car turning left (the only sensible path of the cyclist) and weaved behind a car that had just come off the motorway exit and taking their second exit of a small roundabout.

Last edited:
Looks like the first segment is 56 seconds long. The second segment probably started on the minute so there are 4 seconds missing - the pictures also show it’s probably 4 seconds lost. What is the total time of the second segment ? Are they always 56 seconds long ?

You sure the USB drive you are using is fast enough ? A lag in write speed could cause this sort of issue.

Segments normally vary slightly, 56-58 seconds.

Second segments are very short. First one was 7 seconds, second was less than a second. I find it coincidence that, on the few occasions that I have saved a clip, the it should exactly coincide with the end of the previous saved clip.

USB is plenty fast enough. It is limited by the in car USB 2 interface, ie on a USB 3 computer, I can write to the drive faster than max USB 2 speeds. Does anyone get gapless recording?

I witnessed a gentle accident on a roundabout and waited about 5 seconds before clicking the dashcam icon to save the clip. Still missed the actual incident.

Its all too coincidental to me. Sounds like its poorly implemented.

My understanding is that dashcam keeps about that last hour but if you hit stop then the current file may be corrupted/not saved. So wait 5-10 mins after the incident before the save.

Really? Having a dink then having the state of mind and be in right circumstances to remember to go back and hit save a few minutes later?

TBH, it just sounds like another half implemented not very well thought out feature.

Its all too coincidental to me. Sounds like its poorly implemented.

Really? Having a dink then having the state of mind and be in right circumstances to remember to go back and hit save a few minutes later?

TBH, it just sounds like another half implemented not very well thought out feature.

If you have a 'dink' then probably a good thing to let the system keep recording while other guy attacks you....
If it's a big accident then try to remember to crawl back and pull the usb stick before the battery fire melts it.