Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam/Sentry keeps failing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having this problem?
The Dashcam icon keeps disappearing of the screen. When I go into "Security" the "Format USB" icon is greyed out. If I pull the USB stick out and re-insert it then the icon re-appears and Dashcam starts working again.

Dodgy USB stick or dodgy USB port? It's a refresh model on 48.12

I had this as well after a recent software update. The most recent update seems to have solved it though.

Revisiting this. Recent software updates seem to have done something and it doesn’t seem to be happening in my car now.

I did still go ahead and fit proper dashcams though. A Blackvue DR900X two camera setup. Works very nicely actually, simple plug into the cigarette lighter and it uses its own g-sensor to switch into parking mode when the car is stationary for five minutes. It seems the 12v socket stay live for quite some time after you leave the car, and it powers up if the car is awake for any reason; charging, or you use the app. If I want to leave all the cameras on, I just turn on Sentry. Then the Tesla is monitoring, and the Blackvues record too.

Reactions: Durzel
Revisiting this. Recent software updates seem to have done something and it doesn’t seem to be happening in my car now.

I did still go ahead and fit proper dashcams though. A Blackvue DR900X two camera setup. Works very nicely actually, simple plug into the cigarette lighter and it uses its own g-sensor to switch into parking mode when the car is stationary for five minutes. It seems the 12v socket stay live for quite some time after you leave the car, and it powers up if the car is awake for any reason; charging, or you use the app. If I want to leave all the cameras on, I just turn on Sentry. Then the Tesla is monitoring, and the Blackvues record too.
If the 12v socket turns off after a while how is the camera being powered for parking mode?

Which is ironic as for many, one of the reasons for having a separate dashcam when parked is to reduce the horrendous battery drain when sentry mode is turned on.

A not unreasonable point!

But as the Model 3 doesn’t have a fuse box, tapping into a permanent and a switched 12v feed is difficult to do. Especially if like me you have a lease car that you don’t want to make potentially damaging modifications to.

I just want to install my front thinkware f770 front dashcam so it’s better quality when driving. Will use sentry for parking when i need to. I would just plug it into the 12v socket but don’t want it to remain live when i decide to use sentry mode so not sure of other options.

I had a Thinkware F800 before and encountered the same issue. The Thinkware would remain in ‘driving’ mode as long as there was 12v power. It can only switch to parking if hardwired.

I switched to the BlackVue setup as it can use g-sensors to change between driving and parking modes.